We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

HI, I am lucky enough to be visiting Sri Lanka in Mar/April 2012 and am planning on climbing Adam's Peak. I want to get the 19:05 train from Ella to Hatton (which is due(!) to arrive at 23:30). Does anyone know if there would be bus / Taxis / Tuktuks around at that time of night to go to Dalhousie?

My only other option is to get an earlier train and spend some time in Hatton / Dalhousie. I will be getting the train from Hatton to Kandy the next day and also wanted to know if i would be missing out on the scenery from Ella to Hatton if i go at night or is the Hatton to Kandy enough to make up for the first part of the journey!

Thanks

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Adam's Peak
Adam's Peak
1,429 Reviews
Nallathanniya, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,596 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Hi Steve,

a] Tuktuks for sure, they're at the stations etc. until the last bus/train. Won't be that cheap however that time of the day, the normal bargaining target of Rs 30/km might be overshot by maybe 100%...

b] Hatton to Kandy is rather unimpressive, part of the nr. 3 stretch in the country for us; though Nanu Oya-Hatton is the better half in that stretch. Badulla (-Ella) - Nanu Oya is the nr.1 stretch so yes you would miss out quite a bit by doing that at night...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Hi Steve

I would definitely get an earlier train to Hatton for lots of reasons. The scenery on the train between Ella and Hatton is amazing and so is the tuk tuk ride between Hatton and Dalhousie. Get a tuk tuk in daylight and get him to stop along the way (as we did when we did the same thing!) so that you can take a few photos of the gorgeous views. It will take you just over an hour between Hatton and Dalhousie that way and you will enjoy every moment of it, whereas in the dark it will feel quite arduous.

Dalhousie is well worth a few extra hours anyway. I particularly love the atmosphere there in the late afternoon and early evening, as the tea-pickers return from the plantation and the stall sellers are setting up and lighting little coconut oil lamps in front of their stalls. Check into a cheap guest house so that you have somewhere to keep your bags and to get a few hours of sleep before commencing the climb at around 2am. That way you will enjoy every bit of it, whereas if you arrive in the dark after a long journey and start to climb straightaway, you will probably wish you hadn't!

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
590 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

It's good if you can start your climb at about 1 am, so you will not miss the sun rise at the top.

Depending on your fitness, it may take from 4-6 hours to climb from Hatton Route.

If you reach the top earlier, you can rest there.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

1am is, in my opinion, a bit too early to begin the climb. Even if you crawl up at a snail's pace and stop frequently for cups of tea, you will still make the summit in time for sunrise with a 2am start. Getting up there too early means you quickly get chilled as you wait for the dawn to break.

Sue

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
590 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Depends on how old you are and your fitness level. I have climbed few times with friends, and know that some of us did not reach on time to see the sun rise.

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Erik / Sandya / Sue and tharinduc,

As ever, thanks for your detailed replies - always a help for us Sri Lanka 1st timers! I will take your advice and get an earlier train.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:12 am, June 04, 2012
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

You got a reply to your question here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g612383-i19522-k…

Hans

Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

I will be staying at dalhousie to climb adams peak in feb. Is it worth staying there an extra day? Are there any waterfalls near the area of dalhousie to visit? Erik, hans and susie you have been great with all the info on here

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,596 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Yes it's a magnificent area, similar to Ella. Plenty of small waterfalls and a huge reservoir delivering nice vistas.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka