We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Which Hatton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Hi there,

We are heading out to SL in October for a two week holiday.

As part of our itinerary we are looking at the option of travelling from Ceylon tea trails nr. Hatton down to Yala NP, before heading round the coast to Galle.

Please can you advise roughly how long this journey will take by car/driver from Hatton to Yala. Are the roads bad?

Thanks in advance

CBJ

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Hi,

Should take approx. 6-6.5 hours. The roads are not among the best in Sri Lanka - except Wellawaya to Tissamaharama.

Hans

Arad, Romania
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding this Topic:

I too want to drive from Yala Np (Tissamaharana) to Hatton in july 2015. We will have a rented car without driver (a small Suzuki car).

Which road are you suggesting we shall choose? We want spectacular views, nature and (if possible) as much as less traffic as possible.

Is it better to drive Tissamaharama-Wellawaya-Ohiya (Horton Plains)- Nuwara Eliya- Hatton

or Tissamaharama-Kaltoha-Balangoda-Bogawantalawa-Hatton

or even Tissamaharama-Udawalawa-Balangoda-Bogawantalawa-Hatton?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Adrian

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,277 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Hi there,

The first one. That's a good main road. You're probably considering the B339 byroad. That is solely accessible by 4WD and even that not year round, frequent mudslides in some seasons.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Arad, Romania
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Thank you very much!

Shall I consider the B528 (or B427) for getting around the Uda Walawe NP (for the scenery) and then the A4 back to Beragala instead of the A2 +A4 straight from Tissa to Beragala?

Thank you,

Adrian

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,277 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Yes for sure, also this has a lot better road quality. Despite the 'A' the A4 between Wellawaya and Beragala is in dismal quality, potholed and one-lane at places.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS Doublechecked with previous posts on B339. Total inaccessibility is rare but at least half of the time a 4WD is essential due to the unpaved pieces and the torrential rains often hitting that hill zone.

Arad, Romania
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Thank you so much for these informations!

Now i must choose between B528 and B427, I guess?

:)

regards,

Adrian

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Sorry to create any confusion, but what do you guys mean by Wellawaya, Ohiya, Nuwera Eliya ?

The B528 will get you to Balangoda, but which route do you intend to take next?

Arad, Romania
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

Sorry, I just looked on google maps. I was thinking from Balangoda back on the A4 to Haputale, then B353 to Boralanda, then towards west on the B508 to World's end trail head, than north on the B 512 to Nuwara Eliya and the A7 to Hatton. Or, if the B508-B512 combination not with a small car like ours driveable is, than from Boralanda straight to Nuwara Eliya (passing Alawathugoda) or just Haputale- A16-Bandarawela-Welimada-Nuwara Eliya.

I hope those on the map are indeed roads, right? :)

Thank you all.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

I'd honestly just do Wellawaya, Ella, , Bandarawela, Welimada, Nuwera Eliya, Hatton

And it's a scenic stretch with real A-grade roads all the way

Arad, Romania
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ceylon Tea Trails to Yala

OK, SeekingPlaces, thanks for the advice. I'll guess I'll stick to this road then... even if I am aware that, as the only good road in the region, it will be full of heavy trafic, including buses and so, that I wanted to avoid :(