We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Hello all

My fiancé and I are travelling to Sri Lanka later this week and staying at the Fortress, where we will get married. I've been so busy wedding planning that itinerary planning has gone out of the window!

We have contacted the hotel regarding trips and the trip to Yala they offer is a day trip. I was wondering if it would be better to organise an independent trip which includes an overnight stay? If anyone has done a similar thing I'd be grateful for your advice on how to go about it.

Many thanks

Nas

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,785 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Hi Nas,

Indeed a suicidal plan of the hotel. It'll mean leaving at 2 AM or returning at 10 PM as the safaris are 6-9 AM and 3-6 PM only; between those times some innocent tourists are brought into the park also yes but except on the odd cloudy day there's nothing to see as the animals hide in the jungle for the sun and heat.

So yes, better to organise something with overnight stay. The beach boys near the hotel can help, check the Top Question on doing (multi-)daytrips to see about selecting a proper one. Target price level:

* Rs 16,000 for 2 x 175 km up and down trip

* Rs 11,000 for entrance tickets and jeep hire for two

* 'Whatever it takes' for accomodation, starts at Rs 3,000 HB for cheap guesthouse. Ask them what they offer and compare prices with booking sites on the Internet.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Definitely do an overnight tour.

Hans

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Hi mate,

Yes.you have a two options for that..if you want to do one day trip,it's possible but You have to start 04:00 am then you can get morning safari as well get back hotel before 18:00 pm...

Another one is stay there over night there has a several good hotels...rates start from 4000 ruppes to up...thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,785 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Not 4 AM but _2_ AM with normal driving. You're proposing speeding it seems and that is not a good publicity for the country and, if you're an operator yourself, your qualities as operator...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

That time of the night you should be able to do the drive in approx. 3 hours without speeding.

Hans

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Hi brothers,

Early morning doesn't have traffic that's for i wrote start 04:00 am...it doesn't mean driving speed...form fortrees koggala to yala Has to drive less than 150kms...so do you know dear,maximum speed 70km/h Out of city and 50km/h In the city...but Doesn't wanna drive that much speed in early Morning....thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,785 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

It's 175 km according to the distance finders, and that means within speed limits and no traffic then _3_ hours minimum. Still leaving Koggala at 3AM :-(

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

;-):-)

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

After check his Number/Nickname you will see he is a taxi driver and look for business. That's all.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koggala to Yala - day trip?

Koggala to Yala is approx. 160 km.

Hans

Get answers to your questions about Yala National Park