We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Yala National Park crowded at Christmas

Frome, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
9 helpful votes
Is Yala National Park crowded at Christmas

Hi All

I understand that Christmas day (Wednesday 25th Dec 2013) is a public holiday in Sri Lanka but I wonder if someone could advise if this will be a busy day for safaris in Yala National Park or whether this will be quiet given that it's a religious holiday?

Thanks

Tom

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Yala National Park crowded at Christmas

Christmas Day is a holiday in Sri Lanka, but the majority of Sri Lankans are Buddhists and do not celebrate Christmas.

However, it's school holidays at the end of December, so Yala is expected to be just as crowded as on weekends, i.e. could be 200-300 jeeps in the park.

Hans

Frome, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Is Yala National Park crowded at Christmas

Thanks Hans, much appreciated. Do you know when the school holidays start in December? We're arriving 13th December and staying until 2nd January and hoping to go to the National Park when it's less crowded.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Is Yala National Park crowded at Christmas

I would guess 9th December as the holidays are usually about 3 weeks, and schools usually start 2nd January.

Hans

California
Level Contributor
546 posts
37 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Yala National Park crowded at Christmas

Last year during the Christmas holidays there were as many as 400 vehicles on a couple of days that caused a massive traffic jam in the park. Of course, one would not even expect to see a leopard in that confusion. What does the park do to stop this? Absolutely nothing, as that is massive income to fill their coffers, and who cares what the tourist sees??!

I have been a proponent to restrict the number of vehicles entering the park on a given day for more than a decade, but the officials nor the jeep drivers would not hear of it due to the income generated by such an invasion.

Robbie.

5. Re: Is Yala National Park crowded at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 11, 2014