We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

If I choose to stay at the Mountain Top Hotel is it easy to get luggage up there. I understand it is about 45 minute walk up a steep slope to get up there once you get off at the highest point vehicles can go. If I have a suitcase on wheels can I wheel it up the slope?

Yangon ,Myanmar
Level Contributor
129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

It is not possible to pull your suitcase with wheel . The road is very rough and not very comfort to pull.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

So the only way to get luggage up there is to have a backpack I take it then?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

You'll struggle with a suitcase on the truck that you take to that highest point, even before you walk the rest. That final bit wouldn't be such a problem actually, because there are porters who you could pay to take the case to the top and I don't recall it being too rough to wheel anyway, nor did it take us anything like as long as 45 minutes to get to the top from the Yatetaung truck terminal. But the truck bit is the issue. You are crammed into it like sardines and a backpack is the most sensible option.

Where are you staying before and after that? We were able to leave our main luggage in the Golden Sunrise hotel at the base (Kinpun) where we stayed the following night. If you aren't doing something similar, perhaps you could come to an arrangement with this place or a similar one to let them take care of your main luggage whilst you are staying overnight at the top?? If you have a car and driver, you can, of course, leave your main luggage in the boot of the vehicle. Just decant what you'll need for the overnight stay into a backpack.

Sue

Edited: 10:12 am, December 15, 2012
London
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

Walking up to Golden Rock from the truck drop-off is hard work and steep. You will want to carry the minimum you can. This should include some water. It took us over 45 minutes (I was suffering from a bad cold). The palanquin bearers followed me like vultures, waiting for me to drop, but I did eventually make it on foot.

Do use a porter. I agree, leave your suitcase at the previous night's hotel and just take the bare minimum to the top.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

Thanks all - sounds like best option is to stay the nite before and after at a motel down the bottom and one nite in a motel at the top.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

You wouldn't need to stay a night before and after .. just one of them would do, and I am sure they would take care of your bags for you for that time. They did for us, despite us not checking in there until after our night at Mountain Top. If you have longer in the area, do make time to explore some of the fabulous trails from the top of Mt. Kyaikhtiyo. We spent a day hiking from the top down through magnificent scenery and bathing in waterfalls. Well worth taking extra time here to do.

Sue

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

Thanks for the advice Sue. Thus will be my 4th time in Myanmar and still have a few areas to visit - this being one of them for this next trip - regards greg

Mentioned in this post
Yangon, Yangon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

Mr Kenso ,

Please be if you coming to stay only one night do not bring big luggage because here in kyithiyo you cannot come on the top ya the taung sation you should get down and rest of the hill up to the Mountain Top you should climb or hire seeden chair. (palanquin) and if you have big luggage you should pay 8000 ks (10us$) best thing only for one night necessary things you can bring other big baggage you can keep in your car or Yangon Hotel or kinmon base camp have some hotel you can keep.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
New York
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

Hello Sue,

Is it practical to visit the rock and return to a hotel at the base in a single day?

Thanks, james

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage up to Mountain Top Hotel

Yes can be done - I met a number of people who had done it when I was there. You won't be able to stay for sunset though last bus back down to base leaves before then - or at least it did when i was there March/April last year.

Get answers to your questions about Kyaikto