We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plain of Jars to Dien Bien Phu

Which Phonsavan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Plain of Jars to Dien Bien Phu

On reading about the POJ I expect to spend at least a day (and likely 2days) visiting the sites as a friend of mine taught in that region before the VN war "era". And told me some stories from the late 50s ...

That said, the next stop will be crossing into VN and visiting Dien Bien Phu. In reading I cannot quite figure out how to make that journey by bus. A marathon is not necessary and I would like the option of taking 2 days to get from POJ to DBP. I have my visa for entering VN by land or ???

Any suggestions for doing it in: a) 1 day, and b) 2 days.

TIA.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plain of Jars to Dien Bien Phu

From Phonsavanh take a bus up to Sam Neua. There are daily buses that take you over the border to Vietnam. It's worth spending a day in Sam Neua to see the caves in nearby Vieng Xai- the HQ of the Lao communists during the ear.

From Sam Neua you should be able to get to DBP with one bus change.

2. Re: Plain of Jars to Dien Bien Phu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, January 31, 2015