We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Hi,

We will be spending 2 nights in Phonsavan in mid April and were not sure what the temperature will be like.

Do we need to pack warm clothes?

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
131 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Was there in April 2010 for 2 nights and it was hot as in the daytime and a tad cooler at night- definitely not cold.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Thank you Havaholiday

The night time temperature was probably a welcome relief for you.

When you were In Phonsavan did you go on a pre arranged organized tour to the "Plain of Jars" or did you book a tour on arrival.

I have read that the tours book up quickly, and as we only have one full day there we would hate to miss out.

Another option we are also looking at, is to hire a motorbike and do it ourselves.

Mentioned in this post
Plain of Jars
Plain of Jars
533 Reviews
Phonsavan, Laos
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

You can easily book when you get there - all the guesthouses and tour agents offer day tours. They definitely don't fill up - they leave on demand.

Renting a motorbike is also a good way to do it as the 3 open Jar sites are not far from Phonsavanh (the closest and most visited site is 12km). No need for warm clothes in Apri - it is about 1300m amsl but April is a very hot month so still warm in the evening.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Thanks Bluecramp, we are still are unsure if we will hire a bike or do a guided tour.

The freedom of having a bike sounds good, but do you think by not having a guide to explain about the sites, that we would not understand what we are looking at.

Also thanks for the info on the warm clothes, I really don't want any unnecessary luggage.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Would recommend paying for a guide with vehicle. As far as the bike option is concerned the roads were appalling last year when we visited the 3 jar sites. Doubt that they would have improved.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Also bear in mind that many "guides" are just drivers - if you want a guide that can explain some of the history to you in english, make sure they are offering this when you book/pay.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

Thanks for the info Dormani & Bluecramp, it's very much appreciated.

A car and driver that can speak English seems like the more comfortable option.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
131 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

I agree with posts. We booked a private day tour after arriving by minibus from Luang Prabang for the next day. We had a lovely guide with perfect english and an aircon van- which was really needed. Had a really great day out. Apart from Jar sites- good- we went to our guides Father's home village, very sleepy and dusty, met his G/father, Aunt and niece. wandered through another quiet pretty little creek/riverside village looking at their clever use of bomb casings etc to build animal shelters etc. Also went to the large Phonsavan covered market and some cottage industries in town (of course). It was going ahead then so likely a few changes have occurred.

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Oregon
Level Contributor
352 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

I trend the other way. One of my favorite days in Laos involved renting a motorcycle and riding out to sites 2 and 3. Both sites were practically empty and while neither has as many jars as site 1, the remoteness adds to the flavor. The roads were bad in November and I even fell off my bike (I'm a terrible motorcyclist), but still had a wonderful day. As far as explanations of the sights, just get a good guidebook. Surprisingly little is known about the jars and I imagine a lot of guide interpretations would involve conjecture.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
10. Re: Temperature in Phonsavan In April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, April 29, 2014