We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to Vang Vieng?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to Vang Vieng?

hi ill be leaving Luang Prabang on the 9th January to Vang Vieng and then Leaving Vieng Vang on the 12th to Vientiane.

so how do I organise my transport when im there? are their buses or private cars? I cant organise this through my travel agent so im going to have to do it there... just need a little help on how to do this please :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

Organised a private car with our guest house a couple of days before we departed LP for VV back in Feb. Originally was quoted about $US180 but somehow they got it down to $US100. It was a 4 wheel drive (not that you need one), airconditioned and could seat 9. There was just the 2 of us.

Wouldn't do a mini van as they normally get in as many people as they can and it can be quite cramped. Pretty uncomfortable if you are medium to large framed. If you don't want a private car then do a local bus. They at least have a bit of room and you will enjoy the scenery.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

Sorry, but forgot to mention that we did a local bus from VV to Vientiane. It was fine and took around 4 hours if I recall correctly.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,615 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

I took a VIP bus from PP to VV, and it was perfectly fine. Not cramped like in a minibus, and cost was only $15. Would take the same bus again for that route. You can buy your ticket from your guesthouse. The bus left at 9.30, and I arrived around 16.30 I think it was.

From VV to Vientiane I also took a bus, and as mentioned in post #2 it takes between 3 and 4 hours. Again, tickets can either be bought from your guesthouse, or one of the agencies in town.

It os very easy to organise everything locally.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

thanks , how long did the private car ride take from LP to VV ? I don't like the ideas of 5-6 hours on a bus, don't want to waste the whole day travelling! also for it $100 for both of you or each? :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

thank you :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

I think that we were picked up at our accommodation in LP about 8:00am and were in VV at about 12:30pm, so 4.5 hours. It was $100 for both, but I have a feeling that we got some special deal for some reason. It could be that the guesthouse 'looked' after us to some extent as we has stayed there 3 times for a week at a time over the previous couple of years.

I would recommend dealing with your guest house/hotel in the first instance as when I dealt with agents in LP, I really never got what I was expecting.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

Dormani, you said that your guesthouse looked after you that is the name of the place you sayed at?

thanks

Adelaide
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

We are looking to hire a private van for 7 of us plus luggage next April for the trip from LP to VV, would the private car take all of us dormani?

I have also heard that this is quite a windy road and we have 2 that suffer from car sickness, do you think this will be a problem if we dose them up on tablets before we go?

We are also from Adelaide :)

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
487 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

yes the road is very windy and if they suffer from car sickness they should absolutely take their tablets before going and not forget the plastic bags ....

7 pax will not be a problem for a PRIVATE minivan, it will be full with the luggage but not so cramped and that will be for all of you the best and more confortable way to travel from LP to VV

you will be able to stop to take some pictures and ask the driver to drive slowly and gently if needed

I did this trip from LP to VV with a VIP bus last year and it was very bad , 7 pax is worth hiring a private minivan

good luck

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport to Vang Vieng?

We always stay a Villa Chitdara when in LP. They organised the vehicle for us to VV earlier this year. We do not suffer from motion sickness so it is difficult to say how others will travel. While the road is windy in parts, it was not that bad as you are not travelling at great speed.

We have also used the bus in Laos, and they are not that bad, just add to the experience.

As you are from Oz the cost of a private vehicle will not make a large dent in your bank balance.

Trust that you enjoy Van Vieng as much as we did. It is truly a special place.

All the best