We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

We need to catch a bus from VV in the morning and we are going straight to the train station Thanalong, outside Vientiane. The train is about 5pm. I just read that the station is only 20k or so outside Vientiane, then I read that I should allow 1-2 hours! Can this be right? Does anyone know if this bus passes that station? Can this journey be done in one day, or is it better to stay overnight in Vientiane instead? Cheers!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

The station is near the border and no buses from VV pass it - you need a tuktuk or taxi from vientiane. You certainly dont need 2 hours, it takes me 30 mins on a bicycle.

But - why even bother with Thanaleng? Its a bit of a white elephant. Instead go to Nong Khai station just across the border. Aim to get there 1 hour before the train leaves (so leave vientiane 2 hrs before)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

Thanaleng is 23 km from Vientiane. Get the train from Nong Khai - this is a better option.

Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

Thank you so much . So Nong Khai is much easier to get to from Vientiane. We'll do that then. Is it feasible to get there in a day from VV ? The drive from VV is 5 hours or so to Vientiane and then allow 2 hours to the station, so I'm assuming we'll be ok. if we leave early enough. Anyone know the earliest bus from VV?

Thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

buses leave VV from 8am, and it takes 4hrs.

Do a search on this forum for options to get to Nong Khai - it is very easy.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

Getting to Nong Khai from Vientiane is very easy and you have a number of choices - tuk tuk, taxi, mini bus or local bus.

The bus from VV takes about 4 1/2 hours.

6. Re: Vang Vieng to train station outside Vientiane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 19, 2013