We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

vancouver
Level Contributor
82 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

We just jolted our way from VIentiane to Vang Vieng today. Probably the roughtest bus ride I've been on. I am wondering if a mini-bus from here to Luang Praband might be less rough and/or faster and/or safer than the big buses. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks a lot.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

many thanks KGB,

I would prefer a private van for 2 of us and perhaps 2 others.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

we will need to get from VV to Vientienne - just wondering approximately how much a private mini van will cost.

Also if we have chartered a private mini van I am presuming that it will stop at our request? (3 young kids may need toilet breaks)

THANKS!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

Private minibus should be less than A$100.

Private minibus will get there a bit faster and drop you right at your hotel.

Bus has bigger wheels and better suspension to handle the deep potholes. The road is very rough for nearly the whole journey.

You will be taken by minibus from your hotel to VV bus station and then there is some waiting for the bus departure. The bus ends at the bus station a bit out of VTE. Minibus transport from there into town is organized at the bus station for I think 40,000 per person (expensive for Laos) and may involve a few drop offs along the way eg at the airport. While the actual bus journey is not a lot longer than a private minibus the whole hotel to hotel journey will be.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

Thanks April!! There's 11 of us so will be easier to charter a minibus we're thinking. It'll be a tight fit with our bags but better than sharing and taking longer.

Trang, Thailand
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

Not faster ..I take minibus from vv to lp...it is very slow and no air con as the car was running ...sometimes u have to stop because the ground on the mountain slide down and close the road ...and sometimes the driver stop for having lunch too long ...I departed about 9 am and arrived in lp about 5 pm..

Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

We are planning to travel from Vientienne to LP in June/July. Now a bit anxious.... Seems this time of year gets heavy rainfalls - this alone makes me rethink. Add the poor roads and heavy rains, will we have problems getting from Vientienne to LP? Should we consider a different time of year?

17. Re: bus or minibus from VV to Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 24, 2013