We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

Calgary
Level Contributor
38 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

We've been to Moab and loved the mountain biking there. We were planning to return but thought maybe we should try a new area - Springdale. We've seen the Gooseberry Mesa trail is highly rated. We only have 5 days so don't think it's worth doing both areas (Moab and Springdale). Any suggestions? Anyone familiar with the mountain biking scene in those areas?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

There have been several questions about biking in the Zions area. I don't have the answer to your question, but perhaps some of the responses would help you. Go to the Zion national park forum tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143057-i1449-Zion… and click on Top Questions on the right hand side. Then click on the "what are some good biking trails?"

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

If you asked this in a couple of months I could tell you since I'm going to Gooseberry in May. I have friends who have biked there and from what they said, there are 2 different sections, one technical and one that's more cross country. They've said the trails are a blast, but I think the number of trails is more limited than Moab. One day would probably be plenty of time to ride the trails there. If you want to try something different maybe you could go to Springdale first and then to Moab if you don't mind the extra traveling.

utah
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

Here's a link to a debate of Moab vs. Springdale:

utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/…

Right around Springdale Gooseberry Mesa is definitely the most popular.

The JEM trail and attached Hurricane Rim & Goulds Rim are supposed to be good.

Little Mesa is also supposed to be good.

Church Rocks & Prospector is close by and is an easier ride.

There are also a ton of trails in the St. George area about an hour away.

Check out utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-southwest.… for more info on trails in the area.

utah
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

Note: If mountain biking is your main goal you will want to consider staying in Hurricane. The lodging is much cheaper than Springdale and you are 1/2 hour closer to the trails.

Calgary
Level Contributor
38 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

thanks to all for you suggestions - very helpful.....now we're just trying to book 5 flights to Vegas...argh!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

There are a couple of really nice mountain biking areas just outside of Las Vegas. Cottonwood Valley is mostly cross-country with some technical, and then there is Bootleg Canyon which is all scary fast, technical downhill. You can rent bikes near both areas.

7. Re: how does biking near Springdale compare to Moab?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 28, 2010