We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

Which Springdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

sorry to be such a bore but really want to stay in Springdale in April at the desert pearl inn and can't book it till I am sure I will be safe!

I suffer from really bad arachnophobia and am concerned that if i stay in a hotel near the park that one might make its way into my room!!

Does anyone know if such creatures keep to the rural hiking areas or are they as commonplace as flies and wasps?

Excuse my ignorance - the ones in the uk don't cause such a problem as they are no bigger than quarters!!!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,595 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

If there are tarantulas that are native to Utah then that is news to me. In many many years of camping out in many different areas, including Zions campground just next door to Springdale I certainly have never been bothered by any, seen any, or been aware of any. Where did you hear there might be?

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

Tarantulas are considered 'common' in Utah, they are not poisonous. You are very unlikely to see one, I'm outside all the time and have only seen one in the last few years. You do know that you could get your phobia cured?

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

thanks guys - v reassuring.

I read about it on a Zion park website, i tihnk.

have tried to be cured but treatment didnt go so well - i think te cure of a phobia depends on what has caused it in the first place!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

I think the managers of Desert Pearl would be even more shocked than you to find a tarantula on their property! It is a very clean and beautifully maintained place.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

Nevada4girl,

I am not exactly arachnophobic, and in theory I can appreciate arachnids, but no spider is welcome to share my space. I hope that I can reassure you. I did a little research. Apparently, tarantulas are most often seen in Zion in late summer and early fall. Not when you would be there. I have never once seen a tarantula in Zion and have been there probably at least 40 times. Rattlesnakes are a different story and you need to keep your eyes open when in the park.

At Desert Pearl, I've never even seen an ant in the room. I've stayed there about once a year since they opened and have never had any invertebrate visitors. But I saw a couple of beautiful mule deer one time :-)

If you are worried, ask for a second floor room. I would think it would be much less likely for a spider to be on the second floor than on the ground floor. All the doors and windows (on both floors) close tightly. There's no way that a spider as large as a tarantula could find a big enough opening to get through. The room decor is open (not a lot of furniture for spider hiding spaces), with wooden floors, no drapes (they have blinds), and I'm pretty sure the beds are the platform type so that there isn't an "under bed" issue. The grounds are well landscaped and cared for. I'm sure that if the management had seen potentially dangerous critters they would take care of the problem. I take your worries seriously and I hope that you feel better about visiting Zion National Park. It's a beautiful park, a beautiful hotel, and you can feel safe.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
183 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

I've been going to Zions National Park for decades and I've never see a Tarantula. I wouldn't worry about seeing or running across one. They are not aggressive and more likely more scared of you than you are them.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
302 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

uh-rattlesnakes?

im from the midwest-we dont have all these scary things. how exactly do i beware of rattlesnakes?

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

Re: Rattlesnakes. I live in Missouri and we have venomous snakes here. I might hazard a guess that there could be rattlesnakes in Wisconsin as well. Rattlesnakes are not lurking around waiting to attack us. My best advice is what I was told when I started hiking - never put your hands or feet anywhere where you can't see them. In my September, 2007 trip to Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon, North Rim, we stopped at several places to walk in Arizona. I looked for rattlesnakes and desert tarantulas and never saw one.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

Nancy, I've got bad news for you. There ARE timber rattlers in SW Wisconsin and I have personally seen one in NE Iowa. Of course, I see them much more frequently out here in Utah but even then it's pretty unusual. It is something to be aware of when hiking but just remember to keep your eyes on the path ahead of you'll be OK. You frequently hear them before you see them because they don't want you anywhere near them and will alert you to their presence by rattling. Don't stick your hands in holes and you'll be fine. I'm much more nervous about bears and cougars when I'm hiking. ;-)

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
302 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tarantula fear - likelihood or an encounter in Springdale?

STOP! youre all freaking me out! : )

i looked up timber rattlers and they are in the SW part of the state (by iowa) and some up the Miss. valley. not where i live! of course, it doesnt explain why our local minor league baseball team is called the wisconsin timberrattlers!

ok-i will definitely keep my hands out of holes and my eyes and ears open. it's not that im really that freaked. i just hadnt thought about them, tho it seems pretty obvious now.

i have seen bears up north (yes, we call it up north-it's just further north), but iknow how to avoid them. im glad im getting prepared for desert critters-thanks all!