We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days should we stay in Yosemite?

PA
1 post
Save Topic
How many days should we stay in Yosemite?

My wife and I visited for one and a half days 5 years ago but will take our children this June. The wife is worried they will get bored - we plan 3 full days and my thought is that this may be the right amount of time. We arent big hikers though - wife has a hip problem. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Mark

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days should we stay in Yosemite?

I'm quite sure you will find plenty to do for three days. The age of your children will make a difference, but here's a few things my family has always enjoyed:

-rafting/swimming on the Merced (depending on the river conditions- the later you go in June the better the conditions)

-biking around the valley

-driving up to Glacier Point and stopping at great places along the way.

-a great hike that we took even with our kids when they were little (4 & 7) is Sentinel Dome on the road to Glacier Point. While it might be a bit much for someone with a hip problem, I'm not a hiker and I managed it. You end up on top of a dome almost as high as Half Dome with spectacular views, but it's actually a short hike.

-a trip to see the big trees at Wawona

-while you're at Wawona, there's a pioneer history center there with stage coach rides in the summer

-a trip up to the high country and Tuolumne Meadows, climbing Lembert dome or just walking arounfd he meadows, also swimming (brrr) in Lake Tenaya

-another easy hike is into Mirror Lake, which is also beautiful

and more!! are you sure you only want 3 days??

Glen Head, NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days should we stay in Yosemite?

We stayed at Tenaya lodge for 3 nights. Our 3 kids (ages 9 to 14) enjoyed swimming in the river, Glacier point, the Sequoias and just hanging at the pool at our hotel. Very nice and we only took short walks to see the waterfalls. Ate lunch at the Ahwanee which is nice. CM

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
81 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days should we stay in Yosemite?

The Park Rangers also will offer programs in June, some geared especially for children. I've been to evening programs there too. I'm sure you will find much to enjoy.

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days should we stay in Yosemite?

Without trying to be too flippant...

365 except in Leap Years... *grin*

My folks first took me to Yosemite over 50 years ago, when I was barely out of the hospital as a newborn, and they took me and my siblings there every summer while we were growing older (but, as Jimmy Buffett might say, not up). We all spent my 50th birthday there as well.

I can't remember us being bored. There's the Merced river. There are the trees, the meadows, the rocks, the falls... There's the sunrise on Half Dome, the deer wandering through the village, and the walk up to Happy Isles (my wife has terrible knees and she did it).

JMHO, but three days is BARELY enough... *grin*