We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another Yosemite to Las Vegas Question

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another Yosemite to Las Vegas Question

I've looked at all the travel forums, the tips and guides that say take this route or this route, stay here but if this part is closed stay here. It's so confusing... :(

Our plan was to go from Yosemite to Las Vegas in May. We will count on the fact that peak / pass is shut. We are planning on taking two days to get there. Happy to stay somewhere overnight that is about half way. We want to leave Yosemite valley around lunch time so a 6 hour drive max on day 1 with some short stops. Day two drive can be longer. We want a scenic route, Can someone please tell me the best route to take. Maybe plot it for me on google map and link it in. The whole take route x to route z to route y and stay at x place is confusing for me as google maps doesn't show some do the roads. We don't want to get lost and just want a straight forward route but one that's scenic. 30 year old couple, no kids from Australia, small rental car. Is a certain day of week before to drive or is the traffic the same on any given day. Thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,855 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another Yosemite to Las Vegas Question

Why are you counting on Tioga Pass being closed? Make two plans. Option A is Tioga Pass open. Option B is Tioga Pass closed.

Option A:

Day 1 Yosemite Valley - Tuolumne Meadows - Tioga Pass / Hwy 120 - Lee Vining / Hwy 395 - Mammoth Lakes or Bishop or Lone Pine

Day 2 Lone Pine - Hwy 136 - Hwy 190 - Panamint Springs Entrance - Stovepipe Wells - Furnace Creek - (detour to Badwater & Artist Drive) - Zabriskie Point - 20 Mule Team Canyon - {detour to Dante's View} - State Line Rd - Bell Vista Rd - Hwy 160 - Pahrump - Las Vegas

http://goo.gl/maps/jND5a

Option B:

Day 1 Yosemite Valley - Wawona Rd / Hwy 41 - Mariposa Grove - South Entrance - Hwy 41 to Fresno - Hwy 99 to Bakersfield - Hwy 178 to Lake Isabella (stop here?) on to Ridgecrest

Day 2 Ridgecrest to Panamint Springs Entrance and then the same as Day 2 above.

http://goo.gl/maps/w7IDI

--------------------

Crossing the Sierra: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c158581

=================

Traffic is not good on Memorial Day holiday weekend.

2. Re: Yet another Yosemite to Las Vegas Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 11, 2015