We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
584 posts
343 reviews
Save Topic
Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

We're heading over to Yosemite second week of Feb for a full 7 nights. I'm a photographer and was hoping to have some snow/ice to shoot. But being so dry in California I now want to start preparing for doing other stuff!! I'll still take some pictures just not the same amount...you never know about the weather also!

We've been to Yosemite before, most recently in September where we hiked up Half Dome and a few others around the valley, with a 5 night stay. I guess I'm looking for tips on what to do in February. We're staying in the Lodge. I seen Four Mile trail is open, so that would be of interest to us for sure for a full day hike. Can you hike to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls in winter? Or up the Mist Trail to the Vernal Fall bridge?

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,293 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,027 Reviews
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
852 Reviews
Vernal Fall
Vernal Fall
1,236 Reviews
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,182 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

Here is a map with the Winter Route to the top of Vernal Fall and on to Nevada Fall: yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,50702

I thought that Four Mile trail was closed (as of 12/4), but that recent Trip Report describes someone using it to ascend to Glacier Point. Ask the rangers before beginning this hike.

Seasonal Openings nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

My biggest wish is that several huge storms hit the Sierra to build the snowpack. Then everyone can have a great winter experience and the rest of the year will be better as well.

Mentioned in this post
Vernal Fall
Vernal Fall
1,236 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,027 Reviews
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
469 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

The Mist Trail on the upper part is closed because of ice from the water from the falls that flow year-round. nps.gov/yose/…CP_JUMP_469992 which is the reason for the Alt route PNWF posted.

Upper Yosemite Fall trail is usually also closed but looks like it is still open because of the drought. But it is wise to check with the ranger about whether parts of the trail is covered by snow that make navigation hard (without experience). I once followed a snow trail only to find out i was following the fresh tracks of someone who was lost!

A good trail might be to Dewey Point. …sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Yosemite-s-Dewe… Rangers offer guided snowshoe walks.

Mentioned in this post
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
852 Reviews
Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

I posted this earlier, but here it is again. Horseback riding is currently open in the valley. So if the weather sticks that might be an option for you.

Four mile trail is indeed open. I can confirm that for sure.

The Panorama trail (with the detour around the mist trail) is also reported clear of obstructions and according to a recent trail report, no special equipment needed.

Upper Yosemite falls is definitely manageable. This trail never ever closes during the year. Because it gets sun, even in cold years people can frequently get to at least the first viewing area. This year with the lack of storms it's all easily accessible, no yak traks or crampons needed.

Mist trail is not only closed for ice, but because ofhttp://www.lafujimama.com/2013/12/japanese-hotcakes/ Avalanche danger from the area above. With the freezing and thawing going on right now, even if the stairs are clear of ice, rocks can still come down from above.

Bicycles have also been available for rent too but this one I'm not sure about now. They reopened the stands at some point during the holidays at Yosemite Lodge but not sure if they stayed open.

Ice skating will still be open.

You can also spend an entire day in the mariposa Grove hiking if you'd like. Everything is pretty accessible there and the road is currently open. Upper grove is still holding some snow but you can still hike a fair ways.

Like pacificnw though, I am really really hoping for some big snow storms between now and your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Panorama Trail
Panorama Trail
258 Reviews
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
852 Reviews
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Valley Lodge
4,024 Reviews
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,182 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

marmot ~ are you offering to whip some of those Japanese Hotcakes? (The link accidentally got pasted into the middle of your reply.) They look delicious!

Thanks for the on-the-spot update about current conditions in Yosemite.

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

Darn it! The dangers of replying in a tablet (which explains my recent decline if already not great typing). Will get online on a real computer and edit the post.

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
584 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

Thanks so much for the current updates on trail conditions! Much appreciated.

7. Re: Good Yosemite Activities in Feb if no snow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 23, 2015