We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Yosemite

Mermaid Waters...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 nights in Yosemite

Hey guys

Just a question or 2 about my time in Yosemite. Firstly, I am so happy it is now open again as we are coming in 2 weeks all the way from Australia, so excited! We are staying at lodge at the falls from 11/1 - 3/11. My questions were:

1 - We are coming in from Carmel, so we are looking at driving in along the 152, 59 and 140 which seems to be the most direct route according to google. I was wondering whether it is worth taking a detour on the 41 and check out mariposa grove? Just seeing if we would have enough time and whether it is worth checking it out, or just head straight to yosemite.

2 - I would really love to check out glacier point, perhaps as the sun is going down. Is it a bit of a drive from valley floor and if so, what road do you take and how long would it take for a return trip?

Anaheim
Level Contributor
673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Yosemite

Are planning on Hearst Castle and Cambria? If yes, then going around to the Southern Entrance makes for a nice route to get there. With just two days I'd go for the Valley and a roadtrip up on Tioga Road to see the back side of Half Dome. If you have kids then just do the Valley for some awesome out of car experiences.

Rosco

Edited: 2:41 am, October 18, 2013
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Yosemite

No kids here and we were keen for hearst castle, but i thought it may be to far out of the way

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,252 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Yosemite

If you want help with the overall itinerary, try the California forum. I don't think you have time for major changes now, but it's your trip and you get to do what you want.

If you want to walk among some huge Giant Sequoias, then entering via Hwy 41 is a good idea. From Carmel, expect this to take about 3.5 - 4 hours. Note that Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias IS in Yosemite, so you'll be there! Mariposa Grove: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d592681/Yosemi…

From Mariposa Grove, it's about an hour to drive to Yosemite Valley. It's possible to detour to Glacier Point, but you might want to save that for Nov 2. The detour is 17 miles / 35-40 minutes one way from Wawona Road / Hwy 41. So it adds almost 2 hours to your drive from Mariposa Grove, assuming you stop at Washburn Point and you walk around for a bit at Glacier Point.

www.SunriseSunset.com will help with planning for sunset time.

The Top Questions & Trip Ideas on the right will help you to plan your time in Yosemite Valley. Honeymooners might enjoy a less populated walk on the Valley Loop trail. When I walked the section between Lower Yosemite Fall and Mirror Lake/Meadow, I only saw two other groups on the trail. Or maybe you'll want to hike up to Vernal Fall.

If you choose to visit Glacier Point, it's about an hour drive from Yosemite Valley.

Where are you headed next? San Francisco?

Mermaid Waters...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Yosemite

Thanks for that guys, we reckon we might just head straight to Yosemite from Carmel, unless you can suggest a nice little detour on the way.

We will be heading to San Fran after we finish in Yosemite :)

5. Re: 2 nights in Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 23, 2014