We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

I know this is in another thread, but wanted it to be stand alone since lots of people probably watching. Following is the official news release:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK REOPENS TO VISITORS

Facilities and services reopened

Yosemite National Park reopens to park visitors tonight, October 16, 2013. Visitors can access public areas and roads immediately while facilities and other public services are brought back on-line. Yosemite National Park has been closed since October 1, 2013 due to the government shutdown.

"We are excited to reopen and welcome visitors back to Yosemite," stated park superintendent Don Neubacher. "Autumn is a particularly special season to enjoy Yosemite's colorful grandeur."

Major highways and roads leading into and through Yosemite National Park, including the Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove roads, are open to vehicles. Park visitor centers will reopen and Ranger-led programs will resume on October 17. Visitors are urged to consult the Yosemite Guide for a list of programs.

Valley campgrounds in Yosemite will reopen on October 17. Those with reservations will be able to check in by noon. First come, first serve sites at Camp Four, Wawona and Hodgdon are also available.

Delaware North Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, Inc., the park's primary concessioner, is reopening facilities and will begin to welcome guests immediately.

The Ansel Adams Gallery, located in Yosemite Village, will also reopen.

-NPS-

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,010 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

Such excellent news! I'm looking forward to reading some on-the-spot reports from folks who get into Yosemite NP today.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

This is great for visitors coming soon who did not cancel. But if I had a trip planned for February, I would be worried. And what is horrible is that they probably won't get an answer until the last minute again. I hate to be a downer now that it is finally open, but it is such a shame that this was ever an issue.

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

Went to Yosemite today. A glorious sunny fall day. Not too crowded at all so we had a lovely day. One downside is there was little catering on offer. Curry village only had the grocery store open. The Awahnee dining room is not open until Friday, although the bar was serving. So if coming for the day either bring your own food or eat at the lodge or the village before venturing further.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

I have been trying to book a campsite but they seem to be booked out. I wonder will they have cancellations...?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,010 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

Yes, there are cancellations. Are you arriving tonight? I see there is a campsite in Upper Pines tomorrow and there are lots of sites on Sunday. Ask at the entrance station.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

Valley visitor center is busy, hwy 41 had a 10 minute line at the gate mid morning yesterday, tour buses are back in the Valley again. And the leaves are changing nicely in Yosemite Valley with acorns on the ground everywhere!

A note, a bear was hit outside of the park on hwy 140 yesterday, and there have been many reports of bears feeding on the acorns along hwy 41. Also the deer are hanging out EVERYWHERE in random spots along the road. Speed limits are good things for the wildlife.

Happy travels everyone!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

While it saddens me that so many visitors did not get to visit this jewel of our national parks for so long, I'm guessing the wildlife were happy to have the place to themselves for awhile!

8. Re: Yosemite News Release: 10/16/13, park reopened

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 20, 2014