We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

Do you know if Tioga Pass has reopened after the snow storm earlier in the week?

Regardless of the US shutdown, my partner and I are still determined to travel over for our holiday tomorrow, as it has been a dream of ours to see this part of America. We are already aware that we will have our Alcatraz tickets refunded for when we are in San Francisco, which is such a shame.

Although we know now that it is unlikely we will be able to experience Yosemite like we had hoped, we are due to arrive in Yosemite next Wed 16th and would like to make the most of seeing places such as Calaveras Big Trees, Columbia State Historic Town and Bodie Ghost Town.

Hopefully more people will still wish to visit to make the most of the surrounding areas. We feel that at least we will get an idea of what Yosemite is like and plan on coming back again in the future to experience it properly.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

As of right now, it is still closed. Check for updates to it at this page: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi Type in 120 and click "Search."

If Tioga Road is still closed on the day you want to drive it, there may be alternate routes available. This article describes the alternate routes: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c158581/Yosemi…

Any of the alternate routes will involve a longer drive and thus more time than using Tioga Road.

You should still be able to visit the other parks you mentioned.

For a travelogue of the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada, see travelswithbillandnancy.com/eastern_sierras.…

For a guide to where fall colors are typically found, download this file: monocounty.org/docs/EasternSierraFallColorGu…

Daily updates of sightings of fall colors are posted at http://californiafallcolor.com

Bristol, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

Thanks very much for the info! I will be sure to look through all of this

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

Word was that five inches of snow did actually hit Tioga Road and that there had been work to get it reopened. Another reevaluation was going to happen today. The weather looks good so I suspect you won't have a problem next week.

209-372-0200 is the number for road conditions inside the park. I did confirm this week with the temporary closure of Tioga that the line is still being updated.

Bristol, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

Thanks so much for your reply. All this info helps!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

As of 11:10 am PST this morning, Caltrans says 120 is closed.

You can follow the road condition on:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

Tioga Pass now open.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

Tioga Pass is open - and so is Zion NP! (In Utah). I'm trying to figure out whether Zion NP is...working around the closure in some way...and if so, why Yosemite doesn't do the same.

Any word from locals on doings in the park would be much appreciated.

Indeed, *all* Utah National Parks are reported reopened. It appears that the Utah State legislature worked out a payment deal with the Department of the Interior:

www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/utah-parks-reopen/

Can California possibly do the same?? We'll make the difference up in sales tax revenues, I'd think.

Bristol, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

It would be a fantastic idea if Yosemite could be reopened in the same way along with Alcatraz. News in the UK this morning is that the Statue of Liberty and Grand Canyon are also set to reopen. In the airport now waiting for our flight so fingers crossed for some good news by the time we arrive. I'm so pleased to here Tioga has reopened!

Bristol, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

It would be a fantastic idea if Yosemite could be reopened in the same way along with Alcatraz. News in the UK this morning is that the Statue of Liberty and Grand Canyon are also set to reopen. In the airport now waiting for our flight so fingers crossed for some good news by the time we arrive. I'm so pleased to here Tioga has reopened!

10. Re: Tioga Pass and the Yosemite area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 14, 2014