We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Yosemite in september

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Yosemite in september

Hi, need your advice about planning my trip:

We (me & my wife) arriive to Mariposa in the 11/9, and in the next day (12/9) I'll drive to Yosemite. I thougth about spenting the first day in Yosemite valley. in the end of day we'll stay at El portal, and I thoguht the day after (13/9) to travel to the east side of the park (Tioga Road, Lembert Dome, Mono lake) and then sleep in Oakhurst.

few question about the plan (just to mention, we are not from the hiking trpe but more then the viewpoint, and we are with a car there):

1. is it a good plan for two days in terms of times?

2. I'm afraid we'll be bored in the second day. since its september most of the falls are dry, and I'm not sure how much there is to see... I want to hear from other people who travled in the same time how was it and if 2 days is too much?

3. should I book already the night in Oakhurst? from one hand if we'll spend most of the second day in the park, I would like to have already a place near the park to stay. on the other hand in case we'll be bored, I prefer to leve and "cut" distances to Montery as much as I can (in that case, what are the chances to find a suitble place in this time of the year?

Thanks, Ariel

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,332 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

I'm glad your title included September. 11/9 = November 9 in the US.

Your honeymoon plan ..........

Wed Sept 11 - arrive from SF in the late afternoon to Mariposa

Thurs Sept 12 - day in Yosemite Valley, night in El Portal

Fri Sept 13 - day in Tuolumne Meadows, possible night in Oakhurst

Sat Sept 14 - drive to Monterey

---------------------

My suggestions

Wed Sept 11 - arrive from SF in mid-afternoon to OAKHURST or FISH CAMP. Go to Mariposa Grove for the $$$ fee audio tram tour of Mariposa Grove. Night in Oakhurst or Fish Camp.

Thurs Sept 12 - Morning drive to Glacier Point. Afternoon in Yosemite Valley, night in El Portal

Fri Sept 13 - day in Tuolumne Meadows stopping at Olmsted Point and Tenaya Lake. Possible night in MARIPOSA (2+ hrs from Tuolumne Meadows, reasonable Gold Rush town) or MERCED (3 hrs from Tuolumne Meadows, basic town)

Sat Sept 14 - drive to Monterey

=========

Please read the Trip Reports in the Top Questions on the right so you can learn what others have done in Yosemite.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

I don't know what makes you think that a second day in Yosemite would be "boring." John Muir is twirling in his grave.

Just because some waterfalls may be dry does NOT make Yosemite boring.

And it will help us to help you if you reverse your dates to American style or write out the month.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

We have traveled a lot in the US and Europe and Yosemite is one of my favorite places. Bored? Impossible.

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

Sure. Ill be more spesific:

1. 11th of september (Mariposa)

2. 12th of september (El portal)

3. 13th of september (Oakhurst)

PacificNWFamily, I prefer to sleep the first night in mariposa since its a shorter distance and driving from SF, and I prefer to spent as muc has I can in that day in SF. the question is still if I should book it already or wait with it (hopefully it won't be an issue ti find a place to stay).

RamblinSal, I'm asking after reading some reviews. Its just that most of the people are not going to the east side of the park, and I don't know if its totaly diffrent from the Valley and worth a whole day. by bored I meant to the same views as the Valley. also I read some revires that September is the wrost time to travel to Yosemite...

Edited: 5:41 pm, August 18, 2013
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,332 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

Are you planning to skip Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias or to visit one of the smaller groves? Mariposa Grove is the only one with a tram tour (no walking.)

I think your original itinerary is missing two great aspects of the Park in September ~ big trees and fabulous views (Glacier Point.) Where do you want to fit those in?

Yes, Tuolumne Meadows is totally different than Yosemite Valley. The "views" are wildly different. Yes, Tuolumne Meadows is worthwhile. No, we don't know if you'll want to spend an entire day in the high country around Tuolumne Meadows, but since you want to drive toward Monterey before the day is done you won't have an entire day to spend.

September is a poor choice for folks who want to see thundering waterfalls. It's a great choice for folks who want access to every area of the Park and who want to see it all. Did you see the Top Question about "Best time to visit Yosemite"? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c167892

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

The question is where to book the 3rd night, OAKHURST or MERCED...

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

I thoguht about it again, is there any reason to sleep in the 3rd night in Oakhurs? I think the question should be if stay again in Mariposa or in Merced

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,332 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

Oakhurst only makes sense if the end of your 3rd day includes Mariposa Grove near the South Entrance. It doesn't make any sense at all if the last place you visit in Yosemite is Tuolumne Meadows. Do you want to see Big Trees or not?

------------------------

How about this?

Wed Sept 11 - late arrival in Mariposa.

Thurs Sept 12 - 2 hr morning drive to Glacier Point. 1 hr drive down to Yosemite Valley for lunch & afternoon, night in El Portal

Fri Sept 13 - morning in Tuolumne Meadows stopping at Olmsted Point and Tenaya Lake. Depart by 3 pm for a 3 hr drive to Merced.

Sat Sept 14 - 2 hr drive to Monterey

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

Is this for this year? Hurry up and decide, if so!

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in Yosemite in september

look so far like the best suggestion...

BTW I already booked all the options :)