We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

Just wondering if that makes an impact. We are planning to be there in late Aug during 2 weekdays and hoping schools being back in knock the crowds back.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

Many, if not most, schools in California do not go back until after Labor Day which is September 2 this year. If you want to go when most kids are back in school you would need to visit after the first week in September.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,124 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

Oh No. You are going to get people giving you dates for CA schools resuming. But It would be naive to assume that only Ca schools affect crowds in yosemite. Visitors from around the world case in point you visit Yosemite.

Would you mind using Ca the postal abbreviation for California. I have seen IL, Illini for UIUC but I dont think people use Illi do they ?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

"Goin' back to Cali, Cali, Cali, Goin' back to Cali...I don't think so" Nice old song by LL Cool J. I don't mind Cali at all. I think its kind of cool.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,855 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

I don't think the crowds drop much, even with some California districts (and districts in other states) beginning the school year in mid to late August.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

I agree snap!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,069 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

Many, Many of our visitors to Disneyland are from Australia, and I understand their school schedules are very different from ours. I would not schedule my visit on the basis of avoiding school kids.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,124 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

To the OP, you may want to look at accommodation in YNP for August and the TQs on the right can help you. PNWF and the other experts may also be able to help

Darkbeer -- we look forward to you expanding your knowledge about our great State and providing some info to visitors about YNP. Not sure if you have been there in the past year or two or just trolling the YNP forum

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

So, anyone who enjoys reading various threads is "trolling?" And you have to have visited a site within a year to comment? New rules, I guess?

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

August is still pretty rough, but I will say the weekdays always seem to be a littttleeee bit quieter after the second week of August or so. But, I should emphasize that unless you're in the park a lot throughout the summer...I don't think you'll notice. It will just still feel crowded.

You will likely still encounter full lodging and full camping. Weekends remain very, very busy.

Also note that August is the busiest month for Yosemite:

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/visitation.htm

I gotta say, August is my least favorite month to be in Yosemite Valley. BUT, it is still a tremendous time to be out in the higher elevations. Hit the Valley/Mariposa Grove areas before 9am or after 5pm, and then head to Tioga Road during middle of the day if at all possible.

Good luck and have a great time!

10. Re: Do crowds drop in late Aug after Cali schools are back in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 15, 2014