We were chatting with friends about some of her misconceptions about Yosemite and thought it would make a good top 10 list:
TOP TEN MISCONCEPTIONS
10. Minutes from Yosemite park border means I can roll out of my hotel bed and see Yosemite Falls in 8 minutes. The main sights are in Yosemite Valley. The park is large so reaching the border does not mean you're close to the Valley.
8. The waterfalls at Yosemite only run from April - July. Not true. While there are many waterfalls that only last a few days or weeks, there are waterfalls that run all year round (Bridalveil, Vernal and Nevada, etc). www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/waterfalls.htm
7. It's only 30 miles away, so that means I'll get there in 1/2 hour. Maps don't show elevation so 30 miles uphill may mean 1+ hour of driving.
6. If I can't book lodging a year in advance, don't even bother. Don't give up. There are many last minute cancellations so it is worthwhile to keep checking. …latimes.com/1987-11-08/travel/tr-21261_1_yo…
5. Camping in Yosemite Valley means peace and quiet. Unfortunately, not always so. Though the one time I had real peace and quiet (and too spooky for me!), I stayed in Lower Pines campsite the week-end before it closed for the season and there were only 4 other campsites occupied in the entire place!
4 The Tenaya Lodge is located within the park and owned by the National Park Service. The same company that has the NPS contract also manages the Tenaya Lodge. As a result, when people go to the official site to book lodging in Yosemite and see the Tenaya Lodge, they think that the lodge is within the park. Not true. It's still a nice place to stay, but it's not part of the national park.
3. "Merced: Gateway to Yosemite" means it is a good base for visiting Yosemite. http://www.yosemite-gateway.org "Gateway" is a marketing term for "we're far away and if we didn't mention Yosemite, no way you're going to even consider staying here". Doesn't mean that no-one should stay in Merced. But know where Merced is before you do.
2. My cooler is safe in the car overnight. Don't find out the hard way. www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/bears.htm
1. The water looks so shallow and calm - the signs can't be right. Don't. usatoday.com/story/…
Did I miss any?Edited: 12:23 pm, July 05, 2013