We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Napa Valley?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
How far from Napa Valley?

Hi, we are driving to Yosemite from Napa next month. I think it is about a 4 hour trip - can anyone confirm this? I'm hoping to leave Napa early enough so that we can do a little bit in the park that first day. We are sleeping in El Portal and then visiting more of the park and leaving on that second evening. Also, I don't have reservations that second night. Are there a lot of accomodations near Oakhurst, Fish Camp, etc. so I can just take my chances on getting a room? Didn't want reservations as I'm not sure exactly what our time frame will be. Any input will help!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far from Napa Valley?

It's 4 hours from Napa to Yosemite Valley. You will not be able to use 140 to El Portal so you'll have to use 120 into the valley and then drive to El Portal through the Arch Rock entrance. 140 from 99 to El Portal is closed east of Briceburg due to a huge rock slide. You will be able to exit the park on 140 to get to El Portal and enter the park via the Arch Rock entrance once you arrive in El Portal.

Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp is terrific. You could also try Apple Tree Inn. I would not go without reservations as it is high tourist season around there.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
406 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far from Napa Valley?

Hi!

If you have a reservation for your first night, why aren't you sure what your time frame will be for your second night?

Do you mean you don't know what time you will be arriving at the hotel or motel on the second night? You don't need to specify an arrival time. Guarantee your arrival with a credit card. The room won't be given away to anyone else.

I wouldn't travel to a popular tourist area such as Yosemite without a room reservation. You could wind up paying a lot more for your room than you would have paid if you had made an advance reservation.

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far from Napa Valley?

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely make a reservation. We are also headed to Sequoia. I wasn't sure if we would be finished seeing everything we wanted in Yosemite early evening the second day with enough time to travel at least halfway or more to Sequoia or if we would be so busy in Yosemite that we would want to get a hotel room that 2nd night right outside the south entrance/exit. It sounds like I'd better not take a chance on finding a room somewhere!

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far from Napa Valley?

Just an update - I was able to still get a reservation at Apple Tree Inn. It sounds like they still have quite a bit of vacancy if anyone is looking for July.

5. Re: How far from Napa Valley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 16, 2009