We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lindenhurst...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

I am planning to visit Yosemite for 3 nights during end of June/beg July time frame. This is my first time, and need guidance on finding the exact distance of a lodge from an OPEN entrance to Yosemite. Most lodges that claim to be in Yosemite area, on further drill down say that they are at least 60 to 90 minutes driving distance away from Yosemite. Not sure if they mean from a Yosemite entrance, from center of Yosemite or from some other point of interest in this HUGE park!! Can someone PLEASE GUIDE ON:

(1) How many OPEN entrances there are to the park during end of June/beg July timeframe?

(2) How to determine the driving distance from a lodge to an open enatrance of the park?

(3) Is it true that Yosemite valley is a small portion of the whole Yosemite park?

(4) For 3 nights, should I only focus on Yosemite valley area and find some lodge closer to the entrance near Yosemite valley?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,546 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

1) All 4 entrances will be open. The last one, Tioga Pass Entrance, opens today at noon.

2) Mileages chart: nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf or read the Lodging Article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c59487 Both have drive times to Yosemite Valley, one 7 square mile area of 1200 square mile Yosemite National Park. Ask us for specific drive times from a lodging you're considering.

3) Yes, Yosemite Valley is small. And it's the most crowded. But it has some fabulous scenery, lodging options, a free shuttle (just around the Valley), ranger programs, and so on.

4) No, do not spend all your time in the Valley. Try some of the ideas in the Three Day article from the Trip Lists in the upper right: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21258

Also read the Trip Reports from other people. This will help you to decide which places appeal to you.

Basic map: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

Lindenhurst...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

Dear PacificNWFamily, Thank you so much for your prompt & complete response to all my questions. Your specific links to the articles, mileage chart, map are very helpful, and much appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,546 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

You're welcome! Most folks who spend time helping others on a TripAdvisor forum really love that destination and want visitors to have the best experience possible. Please ask any other questions that occur to you.

Lindenhurst...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

Dear PacificNWFamily, During my Yosemite trip, on the day of the arrival, since my place would not be ready until 4pm, I would be spending 3~4 hours at Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias (Oakhurst) before checking in my destination at Mariposa. After spending 2 full days at Yosemite, on the check-out day, I am driving towards Anaheim area. During that 5.5 hours drive I was wondering if I should stop for 1~2 hours at King Canyon Sequoia Park? After having seen the Sequoia trees at Mariposa grove on the arrival day, should I really consider going to KC Sequoia park again?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,546 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

Personally I would not make the long detour to Sequoia National Park. If you have at least 3 hours and don't mind extra driving, you might consider a detour to Kings Canyon NP. But I think it's better to get on the road and head down to Anaheim.

Here is some information about the Hwy 99 drive that focuses on the agriculture & food of California; tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c175348

Lindenhurst...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

Thank you for your suggestion on heading straight to Anaheim instead of the detour.

In general, are the Sequoia trees in King Canyon a lot different and worth seeing - compared to the ones in Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias OR having seen the ones in Mariposa grove, I would have pretty much gotten the idea and would not be missing out much?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,546 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

They are the same kind of trees in Yosemite NP and in Sequoia NP. The groves in Sequoia NP are more numerous.

Kings Canyon is more about canyons than trees.

Lindenhurst...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

Thanks again for your feedback.

9. Re: Entrances to Yosemite & Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, June 26, 2014