We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Carmel to Yosemite then Death Valley

Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Carmel to Yosemite then Death Valley

Hi, I will be driving from San Fran to Carmel, then to Yosemite then to Death Valley then to Las Vegas. I am staying a few nights at each place. Can someone tell me the best route between each please. I will be traveling late May early June 05.

Will ther be snow in Yosemite? I will be in Yosimite for 2 days then drive to Death Valley on the 3rd day. Your advise will be greatly recieved. Thanks PEZA

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Northern California
Level Contributor
119 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Carmel to Yosemite then Death Valley

From Carmel go back up the coast highway 1 to Hwy 156 then go east on 156 toward Hollister. Be sure to stop at Casa De Fruita. It's a very peaceful, pleasant park like setting with a big gift shop and fruit stand, with every kind of fruit you would want fresh or dried, also nuts of every kind, candy, chocolates, yum! A deli and good picnic area. Anyway stay on 156 to Hwy 152 then take 152 east past Los Banos to state Hwy 59. Take 59 to Merced, then 140 to Yosemite. I assume you will get a California road map. This sounds like a lot of different highways, but is in my opinion the easiest and best route from the area.

After Yosemite be sure to take Tioga Pass Road (Hwy 120 east) all the way to US 395. This is not a bad road, and is very scenic. Watch out for the park rangers working radar. Go south on US 395 (A beautiful, scenic drive) to Lone Pine, then branch over to Death Valley from Lone Pine.

As far as snow or not, all the roads I mentioned should be clear, but you will likely see snow in the upper elevations. You never know. It depends on the snow pack to begin with. The waterfalls in Yosemite should be the best at the time you are going. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Hollister
Hollister
California
Los Banos
Los Banos
California
Merced
Merced
California
Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Carmel to Yosemite then Death Valley

Hi PEZA

My advice, for what it's worth, is. From Carmel take CA1 northbound, then CA156, US101, CA156, CA152 then CA59, this should bring you to Merced. From Merced take CA140, this will bring you to Yosemite NP. From Yosemite take CA120, should be open late May, early June, then US395 southbound, then CA136 and CA190 to bring you to Death Valley NP. The most straight forward way from Death Valley to Las Vegas would be NV374 to Beatty then US95 southbound to Las Vegas. But there are other routes, get yourself a good map, then you decide.

Enjoy your trip.

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Merced
Merced
California