We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite in April

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite in April

We're staying in Yosemite on the 23rd and 24th April, driving from Sonoma (coming from the west using the 140).

I understand some of the park may be closed due to snow, but I was wondering what the road situation would be like? In particular, would we need snow chains.

We are from Australia and have limited experience driving in snow and have never used snow chains before. We're happy to give them a go, just not sure if they will be necessary?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,890 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite in April

Visitors are supposed to carry chains in their car until March. April visitors don't have that requirement.

But weather does what it wants! It's unlikely but possible that it will snow during your visit. If it does, stay put and wait for the snow to melt.

Using Hwy 140 is an excellent choice. I hope the poppies and redbud trees are blooming!

Other April tips .... read the spring Trip Reports in the Top Questions, bring a raincoat or poncho for hikes/walks that are near waterfalls, read last April's newspaper for ideas to help with this April nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg12-3.pdf , read the NPS page about April: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/april.htm

Watch the video from Ahwahnee Meadow from April 23, 2012: http://archives.halfdome.net/archive/showfile What a great day of sunshine & clouds! April 23 2010 was clear all day till the clouds swirled around Half Dome and then completely covered it. I wonder what kind of day you'll get.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite in April

Thank you so much for the info!

We are so excited about the trip - I hope the poppies and redbud trees are blooming too! (I'm sure it will be magnificent, regardless) :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite in April

Wow! Those videos are amazing. I'm now going back through and looking at the snow. So pretty!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite in April

Some info on using chaings at this thread. tripadvisor.com/…46499208

Practice putting on the chains before you need them. Just don't drive any farther on dry pavement than you need to to see if they are snug.

John

5. Re: Yosemite in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 03, 2014