We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Ahwahee substitute

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a Ahwahee substitute

I am keen to go to Yosemite and I have convinced my Wife and teen daughters to go in July. I am embarrassed to say that I need to book some good quality accommodation for this trip to be a sucess. Unfortunately the Ahwahee and the other key lodges are booked and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for alternatives?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,308 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Ahwahee substitute

Is a private cabin a 'quality' accommodation? Or will that not work since it doesn't include restaurant dining? Maybe a cabin in Wawona would work and you could eat dinner at the Wawona Hotel. (I am assuming that no one wants to cook, but maybe I'm wrong.)

Since you're planning to visit a National Park, rustic is more usual than elegant. What type of amenities are you seeking?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,144 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Ahwahee substitute

If you want a lot of amenities and don't mind doing a LOT of driving in and out of the park you could look at the Tenaya Lodge outside the southern entrance.

WE are foregoing luxuries in order to stay inside the park during our visit but everyone travels differently!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Ahwahee substitute

Many thanks for the information; I've contacted the Lodge and they have availability.

I totally agree with your comments and I'm struggling to understand how a boy who was happy camping under the stars, now needs to stay in a Hotel in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Tokushima...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Ahwahee substitute

I suggest the Wawona Hotel. It's an elegant restored Victorian.

5. Re: Looking for a Ahwahee substitute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 31, 2014