We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton England
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Hello all,

I have the daunting (but fun!) task of planning our honeymoon in August. I'm British and neither of us have ever been to America before so i'm really relying on tripadvisor/your knowledge to help plan our trip!

After getting some wonderful advice on the California forum about a general plan I have decided to fly to Vegas, then drive Death Valley to Yosemite, then SF, Pacific Coast to LA.

We will have 2 nights in Yosemite (arrive one day, night 1, full day, night 2, part of day then off to SF) and I would love some suggestions of where to stay/what to do.

Please bare in mind that;

- We will have a rental car but will probably be fed up with drivng once in Yosemite

- Will be driving from Vegas, to SF so that may affect our location in the park?

That's all I know at present so any advice would be brilliant.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,928 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Hi Paul

I really really hope you're planning a night in the eastern Sierra on the way to Yosemite from Las Vegas. That's a huge drive for one day. Here is an article about that drive: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

Lodging ideas for Yosemite are linked to the Top Questions in the upper right.

Las Vegas to San Francisco in August

---- 3 days / 2 nights

Day 1 - DVNP, Eastern Sierra

Night 1 - June Lakes or Lee Vining

Day 2 - Tuolumne Meadows, maybe Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias in the late afternoon or maybe all the way to Glacier Point (long drive)

Night 2 - somewhere in or very near Yosemite Valley

Day 3 - Yosemite Valley in the morning, drive 4 hrs to SF in afternoon

---- 4 days / 3 nights

Day 1 - DVNP, Eastern Sierra

Night 1 - Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake

Day 2 - some more of eastern Sierra, Tuolumne Meadows

Night 2 - somewhere in or very near Yosemite Valley (Yosemite West?)

Day 3 - Yosemite Valley most of the day, Glacier Point for sunset

Night 3 - same as Night 2

Day 4 - Mariposa Grove in the morning, drive 4+ hrs to SF in afternoon

Southampton England
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Thanks Pacific,

Yes i've read that link and thats what helped me plan my journey. I'm planning on staying in Lone Pine for a night. Then on to Yosemite for 2 nights.

I'll take a look at the 'Lodging ideas' but I know there's a huge choice so I guess i'm hoping for a few people's personal opinions on where would be good for me to stay for the 2 nights. I've read that some people debate whether In or out of the park is best etc.

I was definately planning on visiting June lakes on the way as the swimming idea sounds lovely!

Thanks again,

Paul

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,928 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Hi Paul

My travel style includes a kitchen or a mini-kitchen whenever possible. So I'd look at the private property options for my stay. But some folks prefer to be in the heart of the Valley and enjoy eating out for every meal. There are even some B&B options for folks who like being in bedroom in a home & sharing breakfast with other people with tourism guidance from the hosts.

I haven't stayed there, but the Hilltop Cabins (Lupine or Sage) seem pretty cute ... views, hot tub, privacy, and a kitchen. http://www.4yosemite.com/

If you stay outside the Park gates, add time to your day to line up for both the entrance and the exit. It might be 5 minutes or it might be 35 minutes.

Swimming ... Tenaya Lake along Tioga Road, Merced River in Yosemite Valley, South Fork of the Merced River in Wawona.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

To avoid driving In Yosemite, stay at the Yosemite lodge. But reservations are hardto come In August. Given that you are coming from the east, you could look at Foresta condos. Plan on your first day spending most of the time on Tiagua Road. Then on the second day drive from Foresta to the valley.

Another choice would be staying in El portal. I have stayed at the Cedar Lodge and it is reasonably priced.

Southampton England
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Thanks i'll check those options out.

If I didn't really want to drive for the time i'm there (will have had enough of driving!) which options of places to stay would allow me to do so. I.E, close enough to all the action. I hear there is a shuttle bus system? How extensive is that?

Thanks again.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,928 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

The shuttle bus loops are just in the Valley. So if you don't want to drive, you must stay there.

This August 2012 newspaper has a map: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg12-6.pdf Also read some of the ideas as they may be offered again this August.

The other 'main' areas include Tuolumne Meadows, Glacier Point, and groves of Giant Sequoias (Mariposa Grove is the largest 'collection' of big trees.) Visitors either drive to those or pay for a bus tour.

Southampton England
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Thanks for that August 2012 brochure - that's a massive help.

Does anyone else have any opinions of best places to stay?

I'm actually looking at the camping style sites like housekeeping, curry village and tuolumne meadows lodge.

Although it's our honeymoon, we really can't affors some of the prices in Yosemite!

Anyone have any ideas out of those 3? I'm leaning towards Tuolumne as it sounds nicest but I realise it's well out of the valley.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,928 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Tuolumne Meadows is fabulous in August! Yosemite Valley is incredibly crowded and Yosemite Fall is likely to be dry. You should still see some of the main sights, but you don't need to spend too much time there if you're looking for high mountain beauty, solitude, and nature.

Housekeeping Camp appeals to folks who like to hang out in their 'shelter' and enjoy lots of adult beverages. There are some families there as well, but it's not a place that seems much like a honeymoon. (Some folks think a canvas sided tent cabin isn't much of a honeymoon either, but it's more of a Yosemite experience!)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

Personally I'd suggest a cabin at Curry Village if you can reserve one. You don't have to worry about camping gear. You have your own bathroom (who wants to trek in the dark to the communal one). If you have food with you, you don't need to store it in a bear locker. They also have rooms in the Stoneman House but I haven't stayed in them yet.

10. Re: Suggestions for 2 nights in Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 31, 2014