We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two days in Yosemite in July

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
158 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
two days in Yosemite in July

Hi,

And thank you all for your hjelp last time! We (family with two kids, 13 and 9 years old) have still some planning to do for our road trip to US this summer, only 153 days to go :-) We have two days in Yosemite and as the first day is Sunday, 7th of July, we have decided to spend most of the day along Tioga road, driving from Lee Vining. We have booked room at Wawona hotel that night and plan to start next day in Mariposa grove. We will also drive up to Glacier Point and do some hiking there and of course, visit the valley before we leave Yosemite late Monday evening.

After reading about wonderful sunsets at GP, we now wonder if we could drive up to GP for sunset before we drive to Wawona. But, is it safe to do that in the dark? And how long will it take?

Thank you for answers and comments,

Ave

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two days in Yosemite in July

So your itinerary is to enter at the Tioga Pass entrance first thing on Sunday morning and spend most of the day enjoying Tuolumne Meadows, right? I strongly suggest you bring a picnic or plan to dine at the TM Grill; it's the ONLY place up there.

Then you drive 1.5+ hrs toward Yosemite Valley, but skirt the edge of it. Stop at Tunnel View for a few minutes for the world famous view! Continue up to Chinquapin. Instead of continuing on Wawona Road / Hwy 41 to Wawona (45 minute total drive from Yosemite Valley), you want to turn left at Chinquapin and head up to Glacier Point. The drive is just over 30 minutes and there is a great hike up there. But you might be tired from your hiking, wandering, & enjoying up in Tuolumne Meadows. So skip Sentinel Dome and drive on to Glacier Point. Enjoy the sunset at 8:23 pm.

However, your kids might be quite hungry by 8:23. I know I would be! Can you bring a picnic dinner with you?

If you drive to the Wawona Hotel (about 2 - 2 1/4 hrs from Tuolumne Meadows), have an early dinner, you can drive back up to Glacier Point (about an hour.) My guess is that you're going to want to stay put!

Last comment ... driving in Yosemite is quite safe. The biggest problems

- animals on the road. Deer are crepuscular, so you'll see more of them at dawn & dusk. Bears are big and will probably cause severe damage to your car.

- speeding. Most roads have a speed limit of 35 mph. Other drivers might have a lead foot.

- dark. Dark isn't dangerous, but some 'city people' aren't used to using their headlights as a tool to see where they're going. Someone was quite surprised that there are not street lights on the mountain roads.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
158 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two days in Yosemite in July

Thank you for your time! Driving first to Wawona and then up to GP is a really good idea!

So, if we do Tuolume Meadows and GP (with a shortish 1-2 hours hike) on Sunday, we have trees and valley left for Monday. As we did not find any suitable accommodation for Monday evening, we thought that we will leave Valley around 6 PM. We will leave for San Francisco and thought that we could find a place to sleep somewhere like Groveland or Jamestown or even Angels Camp. But it will probably mean long drive on mountain roads late evening. Which town would you suggest? We would like to approach SF from north, seeing redwoods in Muir Woods first.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two days in Yosemite in July

I'd strongly suggest you spend the night in Yosemite. Both Mariposa Grove AND Yosemite Valley in one day and then drive 2 hrs?

Curry Village has a tent cabin available on the 8th, as does White Wolf. Actually, they're both available on the 7th as well. But these are tent cabins with shared bathrooms.

Did you look at the condos in Yosemite West? This is the closest lodging to Glacier Point. All the lodging info is linked to the Top Questions in the upper right.

If you must exit the Valley and drive on toward SF, Groveland can work. I think Hwy 140 is a little less curvy; you could stay in Mariposa or generic Merced.

Ask folks on the SF forum for ideas about visiting there. Consider driving to Henry Cowell Redwoods on the way to SF rather than Muir Woods. SF folks have said that Muir is incredibly crowded in the summer. But ask them for more assistance.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
158 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two days in Yosemite in July

Thank you very much for your help:-)

We have been skeptic about Curry village due to hanta virus, but this will probably be gone before July. I'll take a look!

And thank's again!

5. Re: two days in Yosemite in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 23, 2014