We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
309 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

We are due to stay for several nights at the Yosemite Lodge at The Falls in August and are very keen to do downhill mountain biking. What's mean by that is to take a cable car or gondola to the top of a mountain and to ride down on designated courses.

Where would be the nearest place to do that, and if too far away for a day trip, are there any on the way to Yosemite from LA (where we will be coming from) or on the way to San Francisco (where we will be heading afterwards)?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,551 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

Hi ameliashiner

As you can't mountain bike in Yosemite at all (not on trails ... you can just ride on roads & bike paths) I suggest you repost on the general California state forum. You might also post on the Lake Tahoe forum. Some ski resorts have mountain biking on their hills in the summer.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

Drive to mammoth lakes for mointain biking

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

The 2 mountain bike parks like you describe closest to Yosemite would be China Peak Resort above Fresno and Mammoth Mountain on the east side of the Sierras. But both would be about a 3 hour one-way drive from Yosemite Valley.

http://www.skichinapeak.com/biking.aspx

mammothmountain.com/Mountain/…

Rome, Italy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

You can MTB only 1 hour from the south entrance of Yosemite. There is a fantastic MTB ride to Nelder Grove if you park down the road near the Tenaya Lodge at Fish Camp. Google it. I have been on this trail three times and it's a five-star ride!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

Hmmm

First post on an older thread

Smells like a tout. That's a bad thing and a creepy way to avoid complying with the no-advertising rule. Those kinds of businesses should be avoided.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

I will add though that the route mentioned by the poster that bumped this thread up is a good area, and a place where locals do go to ride on a regular basis. USFS land south of the park in general is a popular area. I missed this thread when it originally came up, which is why I didn't post then.

Rome, Italy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

Hi, I apologize for not understanding your question the first time I read it, but I believe the gondola you are referring to is the one at Mammoth Mountain. I have taken the gondola with my bike and it's a superb ride.

If you are flying into Los Angeles, and heading up to Yosemite, via the 395 freeway, then you can stop at Mammoth and mountain bike, then you can continue back to the 395 north to the 120 Tioga Pass to Yosemite. The 120 from Hway 395 offers the most majestic scenery you will ever see in your life. I have traveled all over the world, and this by far is the most spectacular view ever.

If you want to photos of the Tioga Pass, then check out my photos on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/sMMjQ8_0H4E

Enjoy your trip and be safe!

Rome, Italy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

One more link for you for Mammoth Mountain for mountain biking.

This is from my personal website, www.bustinwheels.com

COPY AND PASTE URL

bustinwheels.com/Mammoth%20Labor%20Weekend%2…

9. Re: Downhill mountain biking near Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 24, 2014