We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

Going to be in Napa for a wedding in early July. We want to see Yosemite. I have no knowlege of the park right now. My first question is: Is it better to stay inside the park or outside? Any reccomendation as to where? We are 4 adults 40-65.

Thank you!!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

Best to stay in the park. www.yosemitepark.com Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. It's right in the valley convenient to everything & jump on free shuttles to get around

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

Definitely better to stay in the park. You can walk out of your room and walk around one of the most spectacular places in the world. Try to get out for sunrise if you can. Curry Village is more affordable, but if you want to splurge you can stay at the Ahwahnee. But, you will probably find less expensive lodging outside the park.

John

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,220 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

As 4 adults, you might also enjoy renting a 2 bedroom cabin in one of the private property pockets inside the Park gates. All the lodging options are described in the Top Questions in the upper right. Also read the Trip Reports (in your season) & the Itineraries so you'll have an idea about what things you'd like to see or do and where those places are located.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

Jump on getting those reservations right now. You may already find that the closest places are booked up. However, there is still hope. Get a reservation somewhere, then keep checking back for cancellations, which are commonplace.

I'd also say that the Lodge at the Falls would be choice # 1 in your circumstance.

Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

You know...I think it really has to do with what you like. I dislike being around tons of people and hate crowds. So I would prefer to stay outside the Park to enjoy a little peace and quiet during the evening hours. I recently stayed at the Lodge at the Falls and hated it. I did this since I did not want to put chains on to come and go. But if it had been during the spring, summer or fall months, I would have stayed outside the Park. I have had a lot of success renting vacation homes through www.VRBO.com. I personally like to use the Arch Rock entrance as the drive along the Merced River Canyon is gorgeous IMHO.

Wherever you decide to stay, have a great visit!

6. Re: Is it better to stay in the park, or out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 08, 2014