We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

Hi

I'm trying to map out a provisional trip route from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in an RV for a January 2013 trip. I have about 10 days available for this leg of our trip.

I want to make sure we see Hoover dam/Lake Mead; Grand Canyon, Sequoia trees, Salt lakes and all the major tourist attractions in between, but I'm getting lost in the way to structure my route.

I'm happy to double back for short distances, so as not to miss out on anything awesome. I'm also aware that at this time of year, being winter, there is a strong possibility that some roads will be inaccessible, especially with a 31ft RV.

Can anyone suggest the best possible route to get me to San Francisco with the most scenic landscapes?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, particularly advice in travelling in an RV across this region.

Thanks in advance

MariaMo

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,761 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

Hi MariaMo, and Welcome to TripAdvisor forums!

The toughest thing will be to get to Yosemite in your RV. For that portion of your trip, you might want to park in Mariposa and take the YARTS bus into Yosemite Valley. Or if the weather is good and the forecast is clear, drive in on the All Weather Highway / Hwy 140. But you still have to carry tire chains and I doubt your RV rental company will allow you to put them on the rig.

For ALL of the rest of your trip outside of Yosemite NP, you need to ask on a more appropriate forum. I suggest the Road Trips forum since you're talking about several states (CA, AZ, NV, UT.) When you repost on that forum, let them know who is in the RV with you and more about your travel style.

Road Trips: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

If you're willing to drop the idea of driving an RV in snowy high elevation regions (that's just a challenging or maybe impossible task) and just focus on California, you can post in the California state forum. When you go to that page, read the Top Questions in the upper right. There is a bunch of info about the lovely drive up Hwy 1 between L.A. and San Francisco, a much more do-able drive in an RV. Still challenging & lovely, but no snow. You could easily fill ten days and this route will include the most scenic landscapes.

California: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,334 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

I presume this will not be your first time driving in Winter and especially an RV in winter. If you are planning to see the Grand Canyon in AZ and Hoover dam and then go all the way north to the Salt Lake in Utah then you will have to use the Northern route to come back to Ca.

I would suggest looking at maps.google.com and also getting a good guide book online just to see what is out there. Plenty of great National Parks from Zion and Bryce to Monument Valley enroute.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
LA
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

You would be much better off doing this trip by car and staying in hotels/motels in winter.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

Hi All

Thanks for the information - it was really helpful!

I understand that there would be areas restricted to us during the winter in an RV, but I'm assuming there are major highways that we can take in CA, as we make our way to San Francisco, rather than going through Utah and other states.

Could you suggest an alternate route through California from Las Vegas towards San Fran? We are a family of 4 - a 7yo and a 9yo. We are not looking to do much hiking, but will walk to areas of significance, as long as it's not too long for the littlies.

Thanks again

MariaMo

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Utah
Utah
United States
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,761 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

Hi MariaMo

You bet! The folks on the California state forum would be happy to help you create a fun itinerary for January. I'll watch for your new thread on the state forum.

When you repost, let folks know if you're 100% committed to a rental RV trip (and if you have winter RV experience) or if you're open to the idea of motels + a car.

California forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

Rethink RVing of any kind in the winter. We RV most of the year but would never do it in January for many reasons. Also many RV parks are not open all year round...I have been all the places your trip is planning on going and would attempt almost none of them in RV.

Like previous posters have said, rent a car and enjoy a nice motel you will be glad you did.......

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,687 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

MiaMoAU -

Do you have experience driving a large motorhome?

Have you ever driven a large RV in snow and/or ice?

Are you aware of how to handle camping in below-freezing temperatures?

Please be aware that driving a motorhome in winter conditions is *nothing* like driving one in summer. I've been RVing for 20 years in all conditions.

Or perhaps you've changed your mind and plan to stay in motels? Better idea!

Click on the blue link below, then click on "15 Traveler Photos", and go to photo #8. Does that look like fun?

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

With 10 days you could do like this:

1. Via Hoover Dam to GCNP stopping in Seligman on the way for R66

2. GCNP

3. GCNP-Sedona

4. Sedona-Palm Springs

5. Palm Springs-Los Angeles

6. Los Angeles

7. Los Angeles-Cambria

8. Cambria-Monterey

9. Monterey-Yosemite

10. Yosemite

11. Yosemite-San Francsico

That's 11 days though. Would not do this by RV either. I'd rent a full size SUV

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
9. Re: Travelling from Las Vegas to San Fransisco in RV 18+ days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 16, 2013