We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poway, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Can anyone tell me about the slopes at Yosemite? How close are they to the actual park? Our family of four ages 46, 44, 16 & 12, love to ski but we are very mediocre. We ski in the green & blue :) so the slope doesn't have to be black or diamond or double diamond but I do want to have fun & don't want to wait in line for ever. How many days do I need to view the "high points of Yosemite' & ski for 1 day? One last question...there is a groupon right now for staying at Yosemite:

Two-Night Stay $175 in a Condo at Yosemite’s Scenic Wonders within the Gates of Yosemite National Park (Half Off). Does anyone know anything about this place? I saw a wonderful post by a guy who gave a lot of info & he mentioned free breakfast does anyone have any info on a decent place to stay that includes decent breakfast? Thanks everyone in advance!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Badger Pass is a small family-friendly resort. I think there is only 800' of elevation gain with just 4 lifts. Lots of folks have fond memories of learning to ski there. I think it's a great option for a day.

Yosemite West is actually the closest lodging to Badger Pass. You can see it on this map: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/loader.cfm… Badger is on the Glacier Point Road, near the "Nov" on the "Closed Nov - Mar" red writing. (The road is closed past Badger Pass and is only for cross country skiing or snowshoeing.)

Scenic Wonders is one of the rental companies managing properties at Yosemite West. I don't know about the specifics of that lodging, but there aren't any restaurants in Yosemite West at all.

It's about 20 - 25 minutes to drive to Yosemite Valley and 20 - 25 minutes to Wawona.

Read the winter Trip Reports in the upper right to see what other winter activities appeal to you.

Edited: 6:19 pm, November 04, 2012
Anaheim
Level Contributor
672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Every AM there are free shuttles (Busses) from the Valley (Curry & Lodge) to Badger Pass. This is the best way to enjoy the slopes and valley IMNSHO.

Badger pass is not for Black Diamond skiers but it's still a great old fashioned ski resort. It can feel crowded at lunchtime.

I prefer you stay in the valley but it may be fully booked so take any deal you can.

Rosco

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

If you're not wanting to cook, you might consider checking out the park concessionaire's "Stay N Play Packages." It will depend on what everyone's wanting to do and time spent, but these packages generally involve staying in the Valley, which would allow you to make use of the free bus (usually two in the morning) from Yosemite Lodge to Badger Pass. If i had a choice, I would probably stay in Yosemite Lodge with that package, as opposed to Curry Village, just because the Lodge has a food court that is open all week.

yosemitepark.com/badger-pass-stay-n-play.aspx

Yosemite West is very close to Badger Pass compared to other lodging options in the park. It also allows you to have a kitchen, and make your own food (Badger Pass food is...um...well...it's not good...I'd say even less good than Valley food which is generally just ok). But be warned that if there are any storms, you will definitely need tire chains or awd/4wd to get around Yosemite West (and up to Badger Pass, as well as to Yosemite Valley).

One day for skiing and one day for Valley sightseeing should take care of the type of trip you've described (since many areas of the park are closed to vehicles during the winter).

Happy planning!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Btw, there are other fun winter things to do in the park, like ice skating, snowshoeing (can rent at Badger Pass for just a few $; we even joined a free ranger tour) Cross-country skiing in the valley is magical.

Anaheim
Level Contributor
672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

If there is fresh snow in the valley (and there is usually some old snow as it melts slow in the shade) then Shuttle Stop #17 doubles as the sledding slope stop. And the pizza at Curry Village is pretty good after a day of winter sports.

Rosco

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

PNWFamily described it perfectly. I am one of those with nothing but fond memories of skiing at Badger. It is a tiny, familly oriented place. If you only want to ski one day, I'd stay in the Valley and take the bus up for the day.

If you were wanting to ski every day and see less of the Valley, I'd say the Groupon is a great deal. It is close to Badger and a nice area, but to sightsee the Valley and ski one day, stay in the Valley.

Poway, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Wow! Thank you Roxco, girl wonder 1, marmot1995 & pacificNWfamily...you guys are awesome! I welcome anymore info as I have never been to yosemite...It sounds like winter might not be the best time to go, huh?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Winter is a fabulous time to go to Yosemite! It's so different than any other season. Winter: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/winter.htm

If you're a fair weather hiker/backpacker, then July - September are 'best.' If you're a fan of waterfalls & crowds, then May-June are the 'best' months.

When to Visit: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c167892

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Winter is a phenomenal time to go, but it does involve some flexibility. The waterfalls will have some water in them (vs right now) and the Valley will be very, very quiet...which is great compared to the madness of August. If you're only in the area for a couple of days, there's definitely enough activities to keep you busy.

It's the weather requires flexibility. Some winters there's a lot of sunny but cool weather...other winters there are lots of storms. If you haven't already seen this, it might give you an idea of what to expect:

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/winter.htm

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing & staying at Yosemite

Oopss...this is what happens when I start a post and don't finish until much later. I lose to PacificNW in posting the same link! ;)