We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

What else can I do if I don't have the tire chain when I visit?

Thanks!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

Chains are required for California mountain driving. You can rent them with your car...or buy them from chain stands.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

How much does it costs? I have no idea of it. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

It depends what kind you need but don't worry aout it unless you are going to be driving in snow on the mountains. If you are so unfamiliar with this kind of driving maybe you can try to plan something else if it snows on those days. You do not need them on freeways or city streets, only certain mountain roads. Driving in snow or ice is not a good idea evenwith chains for anyone unfamiliar with windy mountain roads.

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

"Chains are required for California mountain driving."

???

It is a good idea to carry chains in the mountains in case it snows, and after it has snowed you may need them if Icy Road Conditions require it. The Calif Highway Patrol will post the warnings and you MAY need them. They will set up a Chain Control Roadblock. At this point you are able to turn around if you dont have chains and it is a good idea if you do not know how to drive with or without them in those conditions.

But Chains are not required as a normal part of California mountain driving.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

I will rent a car for my 10 days trip. But really don't want to carry the tire chain for 10 days and just use it for only 2 days in Yosemite.

Does anyone know that there have a company running tire chain rental business inside / outside the park?

Does it have chance to rent it at the park entrance of route 41 and return it at the park entrance of route 120?

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

CokeCan

If it is snowing in Late March and tire chains are required on the road you are travelling, there will be places along the way to buy them. You will pay a litttle more than if you went to an auto supply or discount store , but there is no sense in buying them if you dont need them. Also there will be people to assist you in putting them on, sometimes for a small fee, as it can be tricky and damaging to the car if you do it wrong.

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

Chains can be rented or purchased in the communities of Oakhurst (Highway 41), Mariposa (Highway 140), and Groveland (Highway 120) just outside the park.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

Thanks to all.

ATRnWJT, Would you please give me some rough idea of how much does it costs when in case I need them.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

Hi, I will be travelling to Yosemite mid-March with my family, but can't find any information on what the weather may be like. Does it often snow there at that time of year, or is it just trial and error? The information on the snow chains is very useful, we were wondering about that too.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need tire chain for my car at late March?

This is a very useful web site of weather history for reference.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=yosemite+national+park