We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ahwahnee- Yosemite

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ahwahnee- Yosemite

I have read a lot of extremely flattering as well as extremely negative reviews about teh Ahwahnee. Has anyone been there in the last one year. I am a non- camper and would liek to stay in a luxurios resort when paying over $400 a night. However it seems like the hotel is pretty run down.. would appreciate candid responses from others who like to get their money's worth!

Mentioned in this post
Ahwahnee
Ahwahnee
California
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ahwahnee- Yosemite

That's interesting. I would not describe it as run down. Like all accomodations in Yosemite the Ahwahnee is historic. It's a beautiful old place with all the architecture you'd expect to see in a structure of it's age. It is a mountain resort though and well used so it's not the 4 seasons but it is the best available in the park. If it were run down why would hter be soooo many brides there every weekend from spring thru fall?

Some people go with unrealistic expectations but run down it is not.

Mentioned in this post
Ahwahnee
Ahwahnee
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,335 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ahwahnee- Yosemite

We stayed there at Labor Day. We had one of their cabins in the back of the hotel and were quire pleased with the place. First, pleae note that the hotel was built in the 1930's. The room however was quite nice. We had a nice bedroom (very nice turn down service); a nice bathroom (i.e. nice - sized for 1930s - not huge like some of the newer hotel); a nice sized dressing room; and also a nice patio in front of the room. All lin all we were quite pleased with the place.

It was a short walk to the river and a short walk to the Hotel. The Ahwahnee Dining Room (especially during the daylight hours) is quite stunning with the wonderful views of Yosemite Valley. It is wonderful for that - it is not however your "best" restaurant in America so go with that expectation.

The Ahwahnee is not run down (some of the rooms in the main hotel are on the small side; some are quite large.) It is a historic hotel and quite nice.

In terms of the price for the room - we splurged (we normally stay in the Eastern Sierras) due to a special event in our lives we were celebrating.

If it was in a normal city it would be in the 200 -300 dollar price range; but because of its locationi in Yosemite; the price tag is in the 400 dollar range. In short, you're paying in part for the LOCATION.

If you want a nice room (without as high a price) the lodge is ok or Camp Curry Cabins with Baths (note the emphasis on with baths) is also quite nice.

Hope that helps in part. MacJack (Yosemite Trip Advisor expert) can provide additional information...

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Ahwahnee
Ahwahnee
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ahwahnee- Yosemite

Thanks so much for your input. Sometimes its difficult for people to appreciate something for its historic value and call it run down and maybe that's what happened with a number of reviews that I read. I think the biggest draw to Ahwahnee is its historic value and location. I think I will give it a try :-)

Mentioned in this post
Ahwahnee
Ahwahnee
California
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ahwahnee- Yosemite

I was very pleased to be able to stay there for the first time this past spring. It was a wonderful experience. It's true that many of the basic rooms are small, although nicely appointed. The cabins are quite nice, and our room, which is called "The Diggin's" was actually a large suite with a huge soaking tub- all very new. Apparently the space used to be a cocktail lounge on the second floor, which is where it got it's name.

The service was excellent, and of course it's a wonderful expereince to eat in their dining room. Plan on spending some time reading and relaxing in the great room in front of the gigantic fireplace- you can also have a drink there from the bar. If you want to skip the dining room for a meal, you can get some decent pub food at the bar as well.

It is a great historic, mountain lodge, and in fact was featured in the PBS series "Great Lodges of the West." It's interesting to go to a place like Disneyland, where they have built a "replica" of such lodges in the Grand Californian Hotel...somehow the big new version doesn't compare to the spirit of the original!

So while you will pay more for the location of this lodge than you would for similar accomodations in a city, I think it is well worth it at least once in a lifetime.