We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sentinel dome hike question

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sentinel dome hike question

We'll be at Yosemite in 5 weeks time. I'd love to do the sentinel dome hike having been inspired by Pacificnw's enthusiasm for it. I'll be with my husband and 4yr old daughter. My husband has a right sided weakness and falls over sometimes - he has a few medical problems. The distance won't be a problem. It's more about how safe it is in terms of sheer drops etc. He and my daughter(aged 3 then) managed the vernal falls footbridge hike last summer in 95 degree heat.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,118 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

I guess my enthusiasm does show!

Here is my photo with a bit of the trail: tripadvisor.com/…18346514 I wouldn't say there is a drop off, but if you stumble, you may roll downhill a bit. Here is a Google-Images view of the part where you find your own path up the dome: youcanlearnseries.com/Travel/Images/Sentinel…

Here is a good one: …webshots.com/9/…177186122lIpXEZ_fs.jpg

The hike to the Vernal Fall footbridge might be steeper in a few places, but it's paved. The hike to Sentinel Dome is on dirt, granite, and forest debris. There is more potential for trouble if the hiker isn't careful where he/she steps.

Once you're on top of the dome, it's fine. Daredevils can try to find a place close to an edge, but it's mostly flat with lots of places for folks to sit down & admire the beauty.

In 5 weeks, it will be much cooler. Bring warm clothes (layers) and good footwear.

If possible, take some photos of the trail so we can share them with future travelers. And have fun!

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

Thanks PacificNW. The links and your advice were very helpful. I think it should be ok for him. Can't wait for the views.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

Will he use a hiking pole? I think that will help tremendously. I only mention it because I have been having some balance issues lately, and noticed for the first time this summer that I had a bit of vertigo as I climbed up the last bit on the dome itself. A hiking pole, my husband's patient and steady hand and a determination to only look up not down or over until I reached the top made it work for me.

I think you will be glad you made the hike, but as PNW said, be prepared for cold and windy conditions as well!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
70,118 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

Good suggestion. I ALWAYS use hiking poles, and my knees are much happier. The telescoping poles fit nicely in a suitcase or duffle bag.

It's my son who is my "support" person. It's nice to have a hand to reach for or elbow to grab when needed.

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

Thanks for suggestion. We've tried poles in the past but as he has to hold pole in his good hand it causes more problems than it solves!

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

We just did it a couple weeks ago and I think He'll be fine. If he just takes his time and stays away from the extreme edges, which would be easy to do, then you'll have an amazing hike.

I'm excited you're taking your daughter. We left our 3 year old at home but agreed he could handle Sentinel if we kept him close up there. It's Beautiful! We did it late to watch sunset and had it all to ourselves.

Pictures 9-12 linked below from my album are from that evening:

http://cwwayne.zenfolio.com/p451402319

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

Wow Grizzy77- what wonderful pictures. I got to get a better camera. I laughed out loud at the last two pictures.....I have always wanted to do that!!

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

Wow. Your pictures are amazing. And I'd just read your trip report too before you posted on this. Looks like the weather was great for you.

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

Thanks guys!

The weather was perfect...only thing I'd change is more clouds for better pictures at surise & sunset.

10. Re: Sentinel dome hike question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, March 27, 2011