We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Hi, I'm planning on staying at Yosemite Lodge when I visit Yosemite this September. I had originally planned on Tenaya as the Lodge was busy but the 2 nights opened and I booked immediately. That said, i had a question as check-in is not until 5 PM but i dont want to waste a whole day just because I can't check in.

1) Will they take your bags behind the front desk even though it's earlier than 5 pm?

2) Can you leave your bags in your car? I am thinking no because of the "no food" policy if you're not there.

3) Any reviews of yosemite lodge? I read the ones on here but curious if anyone has any recent reviews

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,999 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

What great luck for you! I think you'll prefer being closer to all the beauty.

2. Yes you can leave your bags in your car. You can even leave food in your car during the day, but most folks try to avoid this. The Lodge parking lot is busy and is unlikely to be bothered by bears.

Are you still planning to do the Cloud's Rest hike? If so, I suggest that you enter from SF via Hwy 120 (slightly shorter) or Hwy 140 (gentler entrance, and different that 120 which you'll probably be using to go to Napa after your Yosemite visit.) Spend the first afternoon in the Valley. Maybe buy sandwiches at Degnan's Deli, then drive up to Glacier Point (1 hr each way) or just to Tunnel View (10 minutes) for sunset. I suggest the Sentinel Dome hike to just about everybody since it's such a nice one ~ 2.2 miles round trip with the trailhead on the Glacier Point road.

Day 2 devote to Cloud's Rest.

Day 3 visit the Merced Grove (smallest) or the Tuolumne Grove (a bit bigger) of Giant Sequoias. Unless you're a tree enthusiast, I think one of these groves would be a reasonable substitute for the large Mariposa Grove. But if you want to see lots of huge trees, you'll need to drive down there, then exit via Hwy 41.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Thanks for the response and yes, still planning on doing Cloud's Rest on day 2. I showed it to my fiance and she was excited as well so I think it will be a good fit. I also like your suggestions for Day 1 but would you recommend just doing some hikes in the valley? For example, how long is Mirror lake hike? I do want to do GP at Sunset so i'll be planning around that but I figure we'll arrive sometime between 1-2 so have a couple hours prior to that.

Is there any reason to enter 140 other than the fact that I would get to see different things on the drive in? I would assume I would take 120 out as well as it's further North and probably better for our route to Napa.

How much time would you recommend for the groves on the way out? I'm not going to go to Mariposa since we'll be heading the opposite direction but I'd like to see some of the other sights on the way out.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,999 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Whenever possible, I prefer different driving routes so I don't have to backtrack. I also look for loop hikes. So that's why I suggested Hwy 140. It really isn't necessary, and there are some fabulous views of the Valley on Hwy 120 that you'd see if you used it for your entry.

I think the Tuolumne Grove is about a mile downhill from the parking lot and the Merced Grove is a bit further. TG is larger. I'd just suggest time to walk down, enjoy the trees, take photos, and walk out. As you're considering a 14 mile round trip hike at high elevation, I imagine you're in excellent shape so a visit to Tuolumne Grove would take about an hour or an hour & a half.

Mirror Lake will be Mirror Meadow in September. Visit by bike if the rentals are still open. Other ideas.... top of Vernal Fall (will be a slim waterfall, but it will have water!) or even all the way to Nevada Fall (if you're really fit), Columbia Rock part way up Upper Yosemite Fall (perhaps a trickle of water?), a meadow walk to acclimate yourselves to the elevation.

Yosemite Valley Hikes: yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-valley/yosemite-v… and nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm

When you say "want to do GP at Sunset" you do realize that Glacier Point is just a viewpoint. You can walk around for various views (stop at Washburn Point on the way in for additional views) but there isn't really a hike there. It's maybe 1/4 mile from the parking lot all the way to the farthest viewpoint. If you want a short hike with a view, try nearby Sentinel Dome: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d532061/Yosemi… The Sunset Ranger Talk at GP is between 6:30 and 7 pm in September (varies by date.) Check the Yosemite Guide newspaper for details: www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Ok cool. yeah, I do realize that GP is just a view and not a true hike which is fine as I dont think we're looking to push ourselves too hard on Day 1. We are both in good shape but still want to be fresh for Cloud's Rest :)

I think the grove on the way out will be an excellent idea and I hadn't thought of that so thanks for the advice. I guess all i need to do now is decide on what to do on Day 1 before we go to GP. I appreciate the help!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

After doing a little looking, I think Vernal Falls is going to be our route...it'd be cool to see SOME waterfalls even if it's just a little stream :) and the 3-mile hike sounds about perfect for day 1. Thanks again

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Funny...we'll be doing very similar things this September as well.

Staying at Yosemite Lodge, doing Clouds Rest, doing GP and Sentinel at sunset, checking out the trees (at Mariposa though), and then finishing in Wine Country.

We too are worried about leaving food in the car before we check in but it makes sense that such a busy area would probably be OK.

Have fun out there!

California
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Anyone know how long it takes to do Clouds Rest?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,999 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

The hike is just about 14 miles. If you're a 2 mile per hour hiker, then that's 7 hours w/o stops. Factors to consider ... hiking at a high elevation, weather, your personal speed, your fitness level.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

Yeah, we're planning about 10 hours total for the hike. We want to enjoy the whole thing rather than just speed through it.....take pictures, breaks, etc.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Yosemite Lodge- Question on Cars

My hiking speed's not great, and it was about 8 hours for me to do Clouds, with a 30 minute break for breakfast and an hour of hanging out at the summit and talking to other hikers while admiring the view (luckily my brother and I had the summit to ourselves for the last half of that hour though).

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park