We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Point open May 14th?!!

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Point open May 14th?!!

Help! I'm planning a first time trip to Yosemite for the week of May 14th. However, after reading some guide books I'm concerned that the road to Glacier Point won't be open then. Also, do you know if the East entrance is open then? We will be coming from Lake Tahoe. I thought May would be good to avoid the summer crowds, but now I'm worried that these roads won't be open.

I would appreciate any help!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Point open May 14th?!!

It depends on the snowfall, but had you gone this year, Tioga Pass (the East entrance) did not open until early July. Glacier point opened end of May/early June (I think).

The Tioga Pass is usually closed until late May, early June.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Point open May 14th?!!

Your chances will be pretty good of Glacier Point being open,but the chances of the Tioga Pass being open are slim. However, there's still tons to do, and May is a fantastic time because of the waterfalls. The weekends WILL be crowded, however, for the very same reason.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Point open May 14th?!!

You can get to Yosemite from Tahoe without going over Tioga pass and if you follow 89 out of SLT to 88 the view is very impressive!

This summer the pass opened on June 24th and Glacier point was open only about 2 weeks before that. We enjoyed 200% of normal snow levels, ergo the delay. Now, the year prior we started getting day time temperatures in the high 70s and 80s in early march and they opened the pass mid May, but I wouldn't bet on it. In both these cases we had unusual weather conditions.

You will have a marvelous time! The falls will be at impressive levels but the people count will not yet have peaked for the summer.

Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Point open May 14th?!!

Thank you all for the info!

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Point open May 14th?!!

We went the exact same week last year and it was not opened. We have already both our plane tickets for the exact week this year but are going to fly into San Francisco and visit Yosemite and Lake Tahoe