We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need lodging suggestings for Dec. near Yosemite Please

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need lodging suggestings for Dec. near Yosemite Please

We are trying to plan a driving trip from San Diego to Yosemite, Mono Lake are during the around 12/16-12/30/05 and need some help ... My husband has been there, but it has been MANY years and never in the winter. We are bringing are 6 yr old daughter and don't mind the winter snow and love all the activities, driving etc. Where are some great places to see and at this late date, any hope of decent accom.? dining? Also, what about the Bracebridge Christmas Festival at the Awahanee? Our daughter enjoys live productions, is it worth the $$$? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need lodging suggestings for Dec. near Yosemite Please

It will be difficult to see both Mono Lake and Yosemite in one trip during December as Tioga Pass which connects the two will be closed.

From San Diego to Yosemite you should take 99 north when you get to the I5-99 split near Bakersfield and then take 41 east at Fresno. This will take you to the south entrance of Yosemite. If you prefer to enter Yosemite at the west entrance you could go to Merced and take 140 east.

If you decide to go to Mono Lake you'd have to take 395 north toward Bishop. It's about 1 hour north of Bishop but if it's snowing it would take longer.

Yosemite will be very pretty at that time of year. You may be able to ski at Dodge Ridge and there is an ice skating rink in Yosemite at that time of year. Besides Tioga Pass other roads may be closed like Glacier Point Road. Both Wawona and the Valley are open in the winter but you should carry chains in the event of heavy snow.

Yosemite charges $999 for 2 nights at the Yosemite Lodge and includes the Bracebridge Dinner. for $1499 you can stay at the Ahwahnee. It's an amazing pageant. Worth it?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need lodging suggestings for Dec. near Yosemite Please

Bracebridge is an amazing pageant- I have friends who perform in it- but it's also very long. I would think your 6 year-old would find it boring after a while.

Yosemite in the winter is great fun. Most of what you will do will be centered around the valley or up at Badger Pass Ski area. As such, if you can get accomodations at Yosemite Lodge in the Valley, that would be my first choice. I've also stayed in a heated, hard-sided cabin with bath in Curry with my kids in winter, and it was fine. Your other choice is to check out the condos for rent at Yosemite West (there is a link to the right). Then try the Wawona or the Tenaya Lodge, near the southern entrance where you'll be coming from.

But book now, and if you can't find what you want, keep checking for cancellations!

Be sure to bring a snow saucer along for some sledding fun, but be aware that there is a chance that the snow level in the valley may be low in December. Up at Badger Pass it should eb fine. And bring chains just in case!

San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need lodging suggestings for Dec. near Yosemite Please

Thank you for all of the tips, they are very helpful and what we were needing. I'm not sure about spending the time & $$ on the Bracebridge. We feel fortunate that we will have about 2 weeks to explore this area and enjoy all the activites. Any other not to be missed off the beaten path places?