We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is best fishing in yosemite

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
la
9 posts
Save Topic
where is best fishing in yosemite

where is the best fishing spot (if any ) in yosemite ?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is best fishing in yosemite

I was hoping someone would take the bait on this one (sorry for the pun) as I hate to see a question go unanswered here. But so far it looks as though none of our other experts or visitors know much about fishing... and I know I don't!

I can tell you where I've seen people fishing...on the Merced River west of (below) the valley, and on some spots on the Tuolumne. I know that one time, when we were hiking to Carlon Falls, about a 2 mile trail from the old Carlon campground parking lot just outside the Big Oak Flat Entrance to Yosemite, we thought we had the place to ourselves. Then suddenly we see a couple of backpackers, who said they were heading further up along the trail for a fishing trip.

And that's all I know!

Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is best fishing in yosemite

The Merced River outside the Park might be your best bet. The Merced River below Yosemite is a classic Sierra free-stone stream with wild Rainbow Trout. You might call a place that sells bait and tackle in Mariposa and see what they say. Their number is 966-5125. Other than that I think that most folks fish outside the Park - Mammoth Pools, Lake McClure and Lake McSwain. If you like Bass fisihing, you might try Bass Lake. You might also try Yosemite Guides - although they probably won't give away any secrets for free. They can be reached at www.yosemiteguides.com or (209) 379-2231.

Best of luck!

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is best fishing in yosemite

Inside the park the hooks have to be barbless and its all catch and release. I haven't seen much in-park fishing, but the Merced and Tuolumne both have fans that fish the length before the park.

Have a great time!

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is best fishing in yosemite

I fish outside the park as fishing with barbless is more difficult for kids, requires more skill. We fish either near Summerdale campground outside the wawona entrance or up at Lake Ellery at Tioga pass. Remember, you must have a license to fish. Areas located outside the park are stocked on a regular basis with rainbow trout.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is best fishing in yosemite

Actually the best fishing is at bass Lake about 30 minutes South of the park near North fork.

6. Re: where is best fishing in yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 08, 2009