We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to lake Tahoe

Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite to lake Tahoe

I will be in Yosemite for 3 nights. The valley is booked so I am planning to stay in Mariposa. When I GPS to Lake Tahoe from Mariposa it shows over a 4 hour drive to Lake Tahoe. When I gps from Yosemite Valley it shows 2 hours. Is there a halfway point to Lake Tahoe I could stay on the 3rd night....Yosemite has me going 395 N into Nevada to lake Tahoe. Mariposa has me going 99N. What's the best route to get to Lake Tahoe?

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,829 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
2 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,928 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to lake Tahoe

Hi

I am unclear what you want.

From Mariposa, it's about 1 1/4 hours to Yosemite Valley. Then it's an hour up to Glacier Point. It is an 'okay' lodging location but not great. You might want to visit Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove on the same day, then from Mariposa Grove drive down to Oakhurst and north to Mariposa.

If you're driving between Mariposa and South Lake Tahoe, the more scenic route is via Tioga Road / Tuolumne Meadows and the eastern Sierra / Hwy 395. This allows you to enjoy the attractions along Tioga Road. Maybe stay in Tuolumne Meadows if you can get a spot or in tiny Lee Vining. Other nearby towns include June Lake and Mammoth. But spend most of this day enjoying Tioga Road / Tuolumne Meadows.

Be sure to use the relevant topics in the Top Questions on the right side of this page.

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,829 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,078 Reviews
Oakhurst
Oakhurst
California
South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
Tioga Road
Tioga Road
301 Reviews
Lee Vining, CA
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
488 Reviews
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
472 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Lee Vining
Lee Vining
California
June Lake
June Lake
California
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite to lake Tahoe

Agree with PNWF about taking 395 north. If you don't want to detour south to June Lake or Mammoth then Lee Vining and Bridgeport are really your only options for an overnight stay. Or Meadowcliff Lodge in Coleville - Iv'e never stayed there but it looks interesting. Personally I would pick Gardnerville, just to have dinner at JT Basque Restaurant :). Or just drive to Tahoe - depends on how much time you have.

Mentioned in this post
June Lake
June Lake
California
Lee Vining
Lee Vining
California
Bridgeport
Bridgeport
California
Reply to: Yosemite to lake Tahoe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted