We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
How crowded?

Plans for yosemite June 12-15. I know it's going to be crowded, but is it going to be so crowded it's unpleasant? Should we skip this leg of the trip and come back another month?

8 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
74,654 posts
139 reviews
138 helpful votes
1. Re: How crowded?

It's not possible to visit Yosemite when it isn't crowded AND the waterfalls are flowing nicely. You have to choose what is most important to you. The Top Questions on the right has a topic about when to visit.

If you're early birds, get out on the trails by 8 am at the latest and avoid most of the crowds.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: How crowded?

Hello, thank you for the reply! I am aware of the waterfalls vs. crowded and have reviewed times to go, but am more so wondering in mid June, just how bad is the "crowded?" Crowded enough to make it an unpleasant and stressful experience?

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,842 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: How crowded?

"Crowded" in Yosemite is not like "crowded" in Manhattan. It is the nature. Lots of space. Space from other people, even at the peak-iest season. The PITA thing about Yosemite (specifically Yosemite Valley) is the lack of other access roads. There is one and only loop to reach Yosemite Village, where everybody goes. And on that you can have 1 to 1.5 hour of traffic sitting in the car to slow go for 1 to 2 miles. And the pain of finding parking.

You can go during this time, by all means. But be smart and make the commitment to: plan ahead, get up early to do things and go (not sleeping in and winging it like in other destinations). Learn the tips in this forum and beat the 80% of the other travelers who do not have a clue.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
74,654 posts
139 reviews
138 helpful votes
4. Re: How crowded?

My tip: don't park at Yosemite Village. Park at the Yosemite Falls parking lot, about a mile west of Yosemite Village. Avoid being in that part of the traffic. (And definitely don't drive all the way east to Curry Village / HalfDomeVillage. Driving to & from that location takes a lot more time even tho' it's just a few miles.)

If you're staying in Yosemite Valley, park. Don't try to drive during the day unless it's to leave the Valley, and exit early in the morning. Return late in the day.

Map: https:/…valleyshuttle.pdf

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: How crowded?

Thank you, that is very helpful!! I will continue searching the forum for additional tips.

Are there best times to beat this traffic in the valley?

We only plan to drive in and out I think, renting bikes or walking other places if we can help it. We have planned a ride up to glacier point on the tour.

Right now the plan is to drive in mid-morning from Fresno airport on the 12th (tuesday) and drive out the morning of the 15th (Friday). There is some flexibility though in day/time if you think it will make a big difference.

Thanks again!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
74,654 posts
139 reviews
138 helpful votes
6. Re: How crowded?

Where is your lodging?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,874 posts
124 reviews
73 helpful votes
7. Re: How crowded?

Once you are out of your car, Yosemite Valley becomes a much more enjoyable experience. When you are sitting in your car stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic waiting an hour to go a couple miles, it is absolutely maddening. The earlier you can arrive and park, the better.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: How crowded?

I can imagine that! But at least we will be prepared and expecting it. We are staying at the Majestic.

Reply to: How crowded?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted