We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel times in Yellowstone

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Travel times in Yellowstone

Taking a trip to Yellowstone in July 2007.

If it says X miles from place A to B along

the loop road, How long in time is it, assuming

no stops or extra congestion? For example 15

miles to go somewhere, how long will it take

without stopping

Idaho
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel times in Yellowstone

The maximum speed limit in the park is 45 mph. However, any wildlife within sight of the road will cause congestion, and July is a busy time of year. Traffic is better early in the morning. I wish I could be more specific, but you never know how bad the traffic will be in the summer.

Best of luck!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel times in Yellowstone

It is hard to predict!

Keep in mind that the busiest times are from the last week of June through 1st week of September. That is when the majority of visitors, tour buses, and motor homes/rv's come through. Early morning from 5 AM - 9 AM and later in the evening, 8 PM and on, are also lesser traveled times. (Watch out for wildlife crossing the roads after dark.)

The wildlife constantly moves and that creates traffic backups when people stop to take photos or watch. Last year, there were also alot of bison 'jams' where larger herds traveled down roadways in some of the canyon areas backing up traffic. You could run into a herd of bison in the morning and there would be no sign of them in the afternoon.

When we go from West Yellowstone to Madison Junction, 14 miles, we allow 1/2 hour.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel times in Yellowstone

Thanks for your help. I'm allowing about an hour

for each 30 miles or so, not counting any slow downs

for wildlife. But I'll be stopping to see the wildlife

myself!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel times in Yellowstone

Also my experience Paulkov, about 30 mph in most area's.

5. Re: Travel times in Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 19, 2009