We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
641 posts
26 reviews
Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

I'm holding 2 nights at both and need to make a decision. Likely won't do another stay on the east side of the park.

beds - Canyon Lodge premium has 2 doubles. Lake Lodge Western Cabin is 2 queens. Might be a deal breaker.

Amenities - both private bath. Lake has coffee maker? Does canyon?

Location - We're most interested in canyon, Lamar and Hayden. Concerned about construction (Canyon) and Lake Lodge road work (some reviews) being disruptive.

Food - which has better midrange options? We'll be here for 2 nights. Can't spend a lot of time in slow dining rooms with little kids, but we do want options.

WWYD? Will I be sorry if I go with Lake?

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
923 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

I have never stayed at canyon lodge but I have stayed at Lake Western Cabins. We really liked them. You can pull up to the cabin and they feel pretty private. Canyon has a true dining room and the general store grill (which we like). Lake has a pretty good cafeteria. Really it is just personal preference. We like the canyon western cabins too.

Flowood, Mississippi
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

Do you know if you will be at Cascade Lodge or Dunraven Lodge? Cascade Is three stories and no elevator. Dunraven is four stories, I think, but does have an elevator. I personally like the western cabins at Lake Lodge and at Canyon because they are roomy, and you can usually park pretty near the entrance to the cabin.

Flowood, Mississippi
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

Post script

If you look at yellowstonenationalparklodges.com and select Dining at the top, it will give you what is available at each location and menus for each dining option.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

The Lake Lodge western cabins do have coffee makers. Actually, that's always my first choice for lodging - a scenic, less congested area. The cafeteria is adequate, and there's a small area in the Lake Hotel with vending machine fare. Also, the small general store behind the Hotel has a few pre-packaged options, as well as hand-dipped ice cream . If you want to drive a few miles to the Fishing Bridge general store, it has a nice fast-food type area - hamburgers, sandwiches, etc. - and ice-cream, of course :-)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
641 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

>>>>Do you know if you will be at Cascade Lodge or Dunraven Lodge? Cascade Is three stories and no elevator. Dunraven is four stories, I think, but does have an elevator. I personally like the western cabins at Lake Lodge and at Canyon because they are roomy, and you can usually park pretty near the entrance to the cabin.

How can I tell which lodge. I did this online. 2 doubles in a premium lodge room. It doesn't specify location.

The Western cabins at Canyon look pretty much the same as Lake. If I got that, it would come down to just location unless one is significantly newer/cleaner.

>>>>The Lake Lodge western cabins do have coffee makers. Actually, that's always my first choice for lodging - a scenic, less congested area. The cafeteria is adequate, and there's a small area in the Lake Hotel with vending machine fare. Also, the small general store behind the Hotel has a few pre-packaged options, as well as hand-dipped ice cream . If you want to drive a few miles to the Fishing Bridge general store, it has a nice fast-food type area - hamburgers, sandwiches, etc. - and ice-cream, of course :-)

Good to know re: less congestion. That is appealing for sure. Thanks for the details on dining. That helps.

Will take a look at the dining on Xanterra more closely.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
619 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

After working at Canyon, and staying at both, Lake hands down. A nice, relaxed atmosphere and sunsets/sunrises on the Lake. Second the suggestion for the grill at Fishing Bridge.

7. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:43 am, July 10, 2016
Flowood, Mississippi
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

We have never stayed at the lodges at Canyon, only the western cabins., so I'm not sure how you will know which Lodge unless you call them and ask. You might be able to request Dunraven if you don't want the possibility of stairs. Having to climb stairs is a real deal breaker for me-the knees won't do it anymore. The reservation agents have always been very helpful when I call so I suggest a call to Xanterra.

It is much more relaxing to me at Lake. I love sitting on the porch at Lake Lodge. Good luck with your decision. Just try to remember, you will have a wonderful time no matter where you stay.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
641 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

Well it really does look like most signs point to Lake.

I have to get my coffee ASAP every morning. Queen beds are great. "Scenic" and "less congested" sound nice, I'm a sucker for a rocking chair. I'm liking the idea of a more recently renovated room, though I might be misguided in my understanding there.

Ystoner - the menus are a real help. They sound just fine. A little variety would be nice, but since it's at most 2-3 meals, we should be ok.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
619 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Canyon Premium vs Lake Lodge Western - help me decide

The cabins at Lake won't be renovated as recently as the Canyon rooms but they are still updated. Lodge type decor/furniture and spacious.