We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon to Beartooth and back?

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Canyon to Beartooth and back?

We are leaving for out first trip to Yellowstone next week, can't wait!.

On our last full day in the park the only thing we have planned is West Thumb.

We will be in Canyon and were wondering if it would be feasible and worth it to get up early and drive the Beartooth Highway to Rock Creek Vista? We were thinking on the way back we could take Chief Joseph Highway to Cody than head back on the east entrance road to West Thumb before spending the night back at Canyon. Would we be pushing this time wise?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon to Beartooth and back?

>>>We will be in Canyon and were wondering if it would be feasible and worth it to get up early and drive the Beartooth Highway to Rock Creek Vista? We were thinking on the way back we could take Chief Joseph Highway to Cody than head back on the east entrance road to West Thumb before spending the night back at Canyon.<<<

The route planned will take all day with stops along the way. If you do decide to do it take a cooler with lunch or plan on eating in Cooke City. There will not be a place to eat after Cooke City until you get to Cody.

If you did decide to go to West Thumb it would be an additional 21 miles or about 1 1/2 hours round trip driving time just to get to West Thumb and back. I would not recommend doing that especially since you do not want to be caught driving by the lake and through Hayden Valley in the dark on the way back to Canyon for your night's lodging.

Deb

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyon to Beartooth and back?

We drove from the Lake area to the Beartooth Highway very early one morning, stopping first in the Lamar Valley to look for wildlife. Around 8:30, we started on the Beartooth and after multiple stops to get out and take in the views and to walk around Top of the World General Store, we arrived at Rock Point Vista around 11 a.m. I wrote in my journal that it was 113 miles from Lake area to Rock Creek Vista-- not sure if that's correct. We then drove back west on the Beartooth, stopping for a snack out of our cooler at a pullout overlooking Gardner Lake, and returned to the Northeast park entrance by close to 2:00. We had a late lunch at Roosevelt, and then drove south to explore the Mud Volcano area.

I don't know what the rest of your itinerary entails and I guess it depends on how much energy you have if you wanted to fit in Cody and your other plans in addition to driving the Beartooth. Everybody's different, but when it's our last day on a vacation, we tend to want to take things a little easier as we prepare to "re-enter reality" with the next day full of driving and then the hassles of air travel, so we aim for less crammed activity and try to be more leisurely and relaxed with our choices. It seems like your plan would involve a lot of driving and by the time we returned to Lake, taking the routes I described, we'd driven 228 miles.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,235 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyon to Beartooth and back?

Can Beartooth fit into your park exit strategy? It is a spectacular drive, but does seem like a bit aggressive for a last day on the trip. Wildlife watching in Lamar Valley is spectacular. I would think about and up and back and not loop in Cody.

Have fun.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyon to Beartooth and back?

Thanks everyone, I thought it sounded too ambitious. We'll stick with going Beartooth only.

5. Re: Canyon to Beartooth and back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 22, 2015