We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for July 2015 Trip with Wife and 12 year old Son

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Advice for July 2015 Trip with Wife and 12 year old Son

Fly in and out of Jackson Hole, total trip 7 maybe 8 days? Wife has a bad ankle so hikes down slopes are limited no issues on mild stuff. Besides staying in JH area the night I fly in arrive NOONish and out at 10:00 AM (renting car). There is so much to read it is kind of over whelming. Want to be wise with other 5 or 6 nights between YS and GTP parks could extend a day or so if needed. First time out West for both wife and son and I have never been to Yellowstone (57 year old dad). Hotels only please and thanks in advance for any tips. I want to stay in YS park, can I do this in 1 spot or move hotels?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for July 2015 Trip with Wife and 12 year old Son

Welcome to the forum. You should be fine with 7-8 days. There are a great number of resources in the links on the right column of this page. Do 2-3 nights GTNP and rest YS. If you're already planning to do a night in Jackson, you can also just make that your base for Grand Tetons. In Yellowstone, we like Old Faithful area as it's very central. Canyon or Lake would be other options that are reasonably central. Not too early to make reservations and cancellation policies are very liberal so you can change later if you need to. Some folks do like to bounce around in Yellowstone, but we prefer to establish a base.

Have fun.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for July 2015 Trip with Wife and 12 year old Son

I think staying in 2 different locations is so important in the park. It makes drive times a bit less since the areas are so large. You could do OF area for 2 or 3 nights and canyon for 2 or 3 nights and 2 nights in tetons. It really isnt that difficult to change locations.

3. Re: Advice for July 2015 Trip with Wife and 12 year old Son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 21, 2015