We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About itinerary

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
About itinerary

We are going to visit YNP and GTNP for 3 days in two weeks with 2 children (5&13) . We'd drive from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole and stay there for one night. Then we'd go to GTNP and enter YNP through South Entrance we'd stay at West Yellowstone for two nights. After then we would stay in Gardiner and leave on next moring to Beartooth HIghway (is it nessarary?) and drive back to Idaho Falls. Anyhow, children are eager to see wild animals, so is that much animals to the north of the park? And after browsing the different geysers and springs etc., are there any recommendation for such those scene? Thx!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,958 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About itinerary

Do not think you have time for Beartooth Hwy. It is really out of the way if you are heading to Idaho Falls. I would spend all my time in the parks.

Wildlife can be seen throughout the park. The Lamar Valley and Hayden valley are known for this. You can encounter wildlife though in both GTNP and YNP.

Here is a link to some of the most popular sights in the park- of course your interests and the time you have will dictate how and where you spend your trip-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About itinerary

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

With just 3 nights in Yellowstone, I would not spend a day driving Beartooth Highway. It is beautiful, but time within the park always trumps time out of the park for me.

Also if you drive Beartooth you will be leaving the NE entrance of the park which is the opposite direction of where you want to go for Idaho Falls. Getting to Idaho Falls will involve either backtracking back across Beartooth to the NE entrance (2-2.5 hours), thru the park to the West entrance (3 hours from the NE entrance to the West entrance) and out to Idaho Falls (2 hours) OR driving to Red Lodge, out to I90, over to Bozeman, down to West Yellowstone and out to Idaho Falls which is just under 350 miles (From Red Lodge to Idaho Falls) + the time from Gardiner to the NE entrance + the 2-2.5 hours Beartooth takes.

There is a lot of wildlife throughout the park. They are sometimes concentrated in the Lamar Valley on the NE entrance road and Hayden Valley which is between Canyon and Fishing Bridge. You can do the area from Canyon to Fishing Bridge and see the waterfalls and wildlife on your full day you have when you are staying at West Yellowstone. You can drive out into the Lamar Valley on the day you move from West Yellowstone to Gardiner.

The Upper Geyser Basin around Old Faithful is my favorite as I love the big geysers. The whole area from Old FAithful to Madison Junction has many thermal sites and are worth seeing. You can do this area on your way in from Jackson to West Yellowstone.

If you skip Beartooth you can spend that day driving from Gardiner thru the Park to Idaho Falls by stopping at some of the other thermal areas like Norris and Artist Paint Pots as well as looking for wildlife in the Mammoth to Tower area.

Pam

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: About itinerary

See...Is it worth being to Beartooth hwy? How about go there on the third day?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: About itinerary

Thx!! Besides, how long should we stop to have a look in GTNP on the way to YNP?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About itinerary

Well, as I said, with your very short time in Yellowstone I would not spend time outside the park. You will not be able to see even the highlights of Yellowstone in just 1 full day and some half days.

In my opinion, driving from West Yellowstone to the NE entrance (3 hour drive), over Beartooth (2-2.5 hours one way!) and then back to Idaho Falls is perhaps not the best use of time. If you were flying out of Billings this plan would make more sense.

When you are planning, remember 2 nights in one place just gives you one full day.

However, it comes down to the fact that this is your vacation, not mine. If you want to utilize your time doing Beartooth, then you should choose what you think will interest you and your family the most.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,958 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: About itinerary

Spend at least 3-4 hours in the Tetons then head to spend the rest of your time in Yellowstone. Driving the Beartooth is nice but seeing the park is even better. We had been to Yellowstone several times before we felt we had the time to drive the Beartooth Hwy.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: About itinerary

Thanks a lot to both! See I'm not a native-speaker, and my skills is not that capable.

Here's the itinerary I have planed these few days and I'm very appreciate if you could make it better. Thx!!!

Day 0

Arrive at SLC

Drive to Jackson Hole and stay for one night

Day 1

Drive to GTNP

Take the boat across Jenny Lake

Hike the trail to Hidden Falls,

Inspiration point and into Cascade Canyon

42-mile Scenic Loop Drive?

Moose road?

(afternoon)

Arrive in YNP thru south entrance

(onto Grand Loop Road)

West Thumb Geyser Basin

Grand Prismatic Spring

Old faithful

Upper Geyser Basin

Day 2

Yellowstone Lake

Norris Geyser Basin

Fishing Bridge

Lower Yellowstone River Falls

Hayden Valley

Day 3

Lamar Valley

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

Artist point

Mammoth spring

Day 4

(Is there any time to do sth. Else?)

Back to Idaho Falls

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: About itinerary

Your English skills are wonderful. They are much better than my skills in ANY other language so I admire your command of the written language!

As to your plan:

Day 1: You probably have too much set for this day so do what you have time for. Driving times are very slow for both Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. You will need to allow for about 2.5 hours to drive from Grand Tetons to Old FAithful area and another hour from Old Faithful to West Yellowstone. If you leave Grand Tetons after lunch it will be mid-afternoon when you reach Old Faithful. Skip West Thumb. Do the Old Faithful area and the Upper Geyser Basin. You should spend at least 2 hours in the Old Faithful area. It's eruptions are 70-90 minutes apart so that will give you a chance to see it twice. You will need to arrive in West Yellowstone before dark (www.sunrisesunset.com) so leave Old Faithful at least 2 hours before dark so you can stop by Midway Geyser Basin to see Grand Prismatic. ***See my note at the end.

Day 2: Skip Norris Geyser Basin on the way in. Stop at Canyon Visitor Center, do the viewpoints on the South and North Rims. You will see both the Upper and Lower Falls from here as well as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Artist Point is an overlook on the South Rim Drive. Drive South thru Hayden, stopping if you see people with spotting scopes or big camera lenses. Maybe stop at Mud Volcano. The 2 main features are near the parking lot. Go to Fishing Bridge and walk across looking for wildlife. Go a little further south to the Lake area to see the Yellowstone Lake. Go back to Canyon, then over to Norris. If you have time, stop at Norris and/or Artist Paint Pots.

Day 3: If you didn't have time to do Artist Paint Pots or Norris yesterday, do them this morning. After that, go toward Canyon (take the Virginia Cascade Drive) and at Canyon Junction, then turn left and go North over Dunraven Pass. Stop at Tower Fall. Stop at some of the overlooks north of there to see the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. At Tower Roosevelt Junction, turn right and drive out into Lamar Valley. Go at least to Soda Butte (this is a lumpy feature right beside the road on the South side) or Pebble Creek Campground. Return to Tower Roosevelt Junction and go to Mammoth. Walk the Lower Terraces. If you have time drive a little way south toward Norris and do the Upper Terrace Drive. Anywhere you see people stopped with spotting scopes along this road from Lamar to Mammoth you should stop. You may be able to see bears or wolves.

Day 4: I am not sure what you mean by "Is there any time to do sth. " I expect something got deleted as you posted! Today I would finish up in Mammoth the go south to Norris, the at Madison Junction, go south back toward Old Faithful. There is a lot in this area you likely did not have a chance to see on your arrival day. Do the side roads, see Fountain Paint Pots, Midway Geyser Basin if you didn't see it the other day. Leave Old Faithful 3 hours before sunset so you can get to Idaho Falls before dark.

***What you might also consider is do everything you want in Grand Teton on Day 1 and although you would drive by the geyser areas on your way to West Yellowstone you would not have time to stop anywhere as you want to get to West Yellowstone before nightfall. Then on Day 4, as you drive in the direction of West Yellowstone and exit to Idaho Falls, you come back to the Old Faithful area and see the Upper Geyser Basin, Midway Geyser Basin and Fountain Paint Pots along with the 2 side roads, Firehole Canyon Dr and Firehole Lake Drive.

Pam

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: About itinerary

Thanks for the itinerary a lot! We've got back home and the trip was fantastic. Basicly under your advise, we saw several animals included 6 bears! It was surely a unforgettable experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,958 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: About itinerary

So glad you had a great trip and got to see wildlife!!