We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique our itinerary!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Please critique our itinerary!

Hi, fellow travelers,

I really appreciate those of you who so thoughtfully help us with our planning! Please comment on our itinerary for the first week of September, letting me know if we are leaving anything important out or not spending enough (or too much) time somewhere. I adjusted with a night in Cooke City, thanks to recommendations here. I am hoping to make the Beartooth drive without sacrificing too much Yellowstone time. We loved the GTTS road in Glacier and Trail Ridge in RMNP, so hate to miss it! Trying to also leave time for unplanned activities, as recommended. Here it is:

Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks Itinerary August 31 – September 8, 2014

August 31

Arrive @ SLC Airport at 1:25 PM, rent a car, quick stop & shop for groceries in Idaho Falls

Enter through West Yellowstone

Overnight at Old Faithful Snow Lodge

September 1

Geyser Day! Geyser Hill Walk at 9 AM

Evening program at Old Faithful 7 PM

Overnight at Old Faithful Snow Lodge

September 2

Head up toward Mammoth/Tower/Roosevelt

Check out Lamar Valley for wildlife

Overnight at Cooke City High Country Inn

September 3

Early morning in Lamar Valley

Drive the Beartooth Highway down to Cody and back into East entrance

Evening wildlife in Hayden valley

Overnight at Lake Lodge Cabin

September 4

Early morning at Hayden Valley

Storm Point Saunter 10 AM

Tour Canyon area

Dinner at Lake Yellowstone Hotel

Overnight at Lake Lodge Cabin

September 5

Lake Scenic Cruise 9:15 AM

Head down toward West Thumb

Head down to GTNP

Explore Teton Village area – tram? Or Leigh Lake hike?

Overnight at Hotel Terra

September 6

Jenny Lake/Cascade Canyon hike from south Jenny Lake boat dock- 6-8 hours

Enjoy hot tub at hotel

Overnight at Hotel Terra

September 7

Solitude Snake River float trip 9:30 AM – 2 hours

Lunch/explore at Jackson Lake Lodge

Hermitage Point, Two Ocean Lake or Taggart/Bradley Lake hike???

Overnight at Hotel Terra

September 8

Drive to SLC Airport for 4:45 PM departure

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
687 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please critique our itinerary!

Hi, I will be on the same trip 9/5 through 9/14. I'm doing the same thing: driving from SLC to West Yellowstone after flying from the east coast. I have a 5 pm return flight at SLC. I asked a similar question a while back regarding where to stay the last night and I had answers that led me to believe that staying at Colter Bay our last night would still give us plenty of time to do the drive and catch our flight with time to spare. I am willing to start our drive early in the morning and to take the risk of problems to get as much time as possible in the park!

Everyone has different stress levels for this type of thing. You have to decide what makes you comfortable.

Sue

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please critique our itinerary!

aggiemom, your Sept 3 is a LONG day outside the park.

ENJOY!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Please critique our itinerary!

Thanks, Bill and all! If the weather isn't absolutely gorgeous on 9/3, we'll re-think the Beartooth and just head down through the Canyon area. I have re-booked for 9/31 in West Yellowstone. Curious for those who have experienced it... would you do the Beartooth or spend more time in Yellowstone?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Please critique our itinerary!

>>>>Curious for those who have experienced it....would you do the Beartooth or spend more time in Yellowstone?"<<<<

You will get lots of opinions on that. In the end you need to decide what works best for you and what you're interested in seeing.

Your itinerary of September 2-3rd (staying in Cooke City the night of the 2nd) set you up perfect to drive the Beartooth Highway until the Rock Creek Vista Rest Area, backtracking down to the Chief Joseph Highway and on to Cody. You will get to see some beautiful country that is very different from Yellowstone Park.

If you wanted to see more of the park, an option is to get up very early on the morning of September 3rd and drive the Beartooth Pass to Rock Creek Vista and return through Cooke City and the northeast entrance. Drive through Lamar, over Dunraven Pass and to Lake for your lodging the night of the 3rd. This option will not save you any time but will allow you to work both Beartooth Pass in and get some more Yellowstone time.

In the end, do what works best for you and what makes you happy. No matter what you choose to do your trip will be great and you will have fantastic memories.

Deb

Ruidoso, New Mexico
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Please critique our itinerary!

If you decide not to see the Beartooth Highway or get talked out it, it really doesn't matter because the only thing you will miss out on will be >>>> " The most beautiful drive in America. " Charles Kuralt, ON THE ROAD, CBS, Television Correspondent

Edited: 8:45 pm, July 18, 2014
16. Re: Please critique our itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 20, 2015