We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

Being an avid picture taker, suddenly I awoke to perhaps better picture-taking at Yellowstone when we get there late in June. I am "scheming" on how to cover the various planned stops. I'd like to learn in what direction do these 2 landmarks face - Yellowstone Falls (upper and lower) and the Minerva Terrace at Mammoth. I'd like to arrive at the right time of day in order to take a better picture of each area, taking the sunshine into consideration.

Thanks.

Mark

NYC

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

You might be interested in Photographing Yellowstone by Gustav Verderber. You can get it thru the Yellowstone Association store ( https://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/ ) or your usually online book outlets.

The Upper and Lower Falls face north as the Yellowstone River runs north from it's outlet at Yellowstone Lake. There is a rainbow over the bottom of the Lower Falls from the Artist Point vantage point on the South rim at 945-10 each morning.

Here is a link to the Mammoth area. Minerva Terrace is in the area where it says Lower Terraces.

nps.gov/features/…mammoth.htm

I would have said it faced NE, but looking at this map it is more easterly. Unless it has started up since I was there in April, Minerva is pretty dry and had been since the late 90's. (At least the last time I saw it wet was maybe 1996 or 7??)

…nps.gov/yell/…minerva.htm

Here is a link to pictures from a poster from 2 summers ago. It is my hands-down favorite picture of Canary Spring. You may find things different from this picture looks as to me Canary looked drier in April than in this picture. However, they were rebuilding boardwalk in the area and I could not actually get to this vantage point. (Hoping GeorgiaAstroNut does not mind my continual posting links to his pictures!!)

flickr.com/photos/…

Do you have the link www.sunrisesunset.com? I encourage you to print out a calendar as cell and internet service is spotty and you may need this info when you can't access it online.

Pam

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
699 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

I'll second the book that Pam has mentioned.

Also take a look at the Photographers Ephemeris.

http://photoephemeris.com/tpe-for-desktop

There are also versions for phones so you can use it in the field. It is a very good programme that can tell you where the light is going to be on any given day. It will also take into account hills behind you so you know when the sun will reach a valley etc. Put in the date and place and you will get all the information you need. You tube have videos on it's use.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

HaHa Pam, no problem posting my photos here! Gosh I miss Yellowstone! Two years ago this week I was excitedly getting my stuff organized for what would be the most wonderful vacation of my life. Now I need to figure out when I can come back.

The Photographer's Ephemeris mentioned above is one of my favorite tools for photography. I use it a LOT.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

Wow, thank you all. I wasn't aware of the Photographer's Ephemeris publication. Will sure check into it.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

Altho I am not a photographer (smart phone camera works for me!) that Photographers Ephemeris site looks really neat. Gorgeous pictures on some of the blog links.

GeorgiaAstroNut, glad you are OK with it! I will also have to say that that photo gave me a new appreciation for Mammoth as well. Altho the water output is still the same year to year the location of the discharges changes around so it always looks odd to me that it doesn't look like it did years ago. I know that's silly because it is a dynamic piece of nature.

Goldlizsts and blueaerodynamique, we would love to have you do trip reports when you come back with links to your photos. As you can see, I continue to look back at them!

Pam

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
699 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

Of course, though you will have to wait over a year for mine :-) I'll bore everyone stupid with them then, well maybe the folks on here won't be bored...chuckle

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

Hi Pam,

I am aware of your omnipresence in the forum. Much appreciative of your involvement and assistance. As I was chatting with GeorgiaAstroNut, we own similar camera equipment. He's perhaps a better photographer than I am.... I will certainly try to post some pictures. We're getting all ready pretty much. IF I don't faint out on Beartooth (11K ft., unlikely, as I'll be prepared), I'll come back in a bison from the Black Hills.....

Thanks again!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

Laughing at both of you!

Yes, we will wait a year, AND NO we won't be bored!

Pam

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
699 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

I didn't think you would LOL

Looking forward to seeing the photos by the others before then though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which way do the Falls and Minerva Terrace face?

Just hope they won't "close" this thread. I'll find my way back in! Incidentally, I/we actually will do the Canadian Rockies (late June) before Yellowstone (early Sept.). So, it certainly won't be a year before I'd find my way back in here!