We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone fan urgent camping question

Montana
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
yellowstone fan urgent camping question

Hi Yellowstone fan:

Enjoy all of your insights on this forum. I also consider myself somewhat of an expert as I am a Red Lodge native and currently live in Billings. I however have not actually been inside the Park in a number of years, but am rather have more local knowlege of the surrounding area.

My question is this. We are leaving early Sat morning (less than 36 hours I guess) for a family camping trip to Bridge Bay for three days then down to GTNP for a night or two. We are staying in a pop up tent trailer. Late this afternoon, a friend of mine who is touring through the park said that the Ranger at the entrance informed them that if they were camping that it must be in a hard sided vehicle. They also said that at Fishing Bridge where they stopped to use the restrooms it said that no soft sided camping was allowed.

I understand the Fishing Bridge warnings as when I was growing up some 30 yrs ago and living at Bridge Bay and West Thumb in the summers while my father worked in the park, that due to Grizzly activity that Fishing Bridge was RV's only then and probably still is. However, I can not believe that Bridge Bay and many of the other campgrounds exclude tents and pop ups since if I am not mistaken, Bridge Bay has some tent only loops?

If you read this post late tonight or tomorrow, please ease my fears and assure me that I am correct. I would hate to arrive up there to find out we were not allowed to camp. Again thanks so much for your insights on this forum. You provide me ( a so called local ) with valuable info, so I am sure that your replies to those who are not so fortunate to live in this vicinity are of great value in their planning.

Regards and thanks,

Greg

Billings, MT

Mentioned in this post
Billings
Billings
Montana
hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellowstone fan urgent camping question

From the YNP site nps.gov/yell/planvisit/services/campgrnd.htm

"Xanterra Parks & Resorts operates campgrounds at Bridge Bay, Canyon, Fishing Bridge RV Park, Grant Village, and Madison. Same-day reservations can be made by calling: 307-344-7901. Future reservations can be made by calling: 307-344-7311, or by writing: Yellowstone National Park Lodges, PO Box 165, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190. Fishing Bridge RV Park is the only campground offering water, sewer, and electrical hookups, and it is for hard-sided vehicles only (no tents or tent-trailers are allowed)."

Looks like Bridge Bay in YNP is only one that doesn't allow tent trailers, but I'd call or email to confirm.

Mentioned in this post
Fishing Bridge RV Park
Fishing Bridge RV Park
275 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Grant Village
Grant Village
76 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: yellowstone fan urgent camping question

I'm sorry to not write sooner, but we just got back from Yellowstone this afternoon. You can have a pop-up trailer in Bridge Bay. The only campground that you cannot use one a pop-up is in Fishing Bridge. I hope you have/had a great time.

Montana
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellowstone fan urgent camping question

Thanks yellowstone, we did have a great stay and enjoyed Bridge Bay in our tent camper. I will post a trip report soon.

Nashville
Level Contributor
40 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellowstone fan urgent camping question

Greg,

I know it's been a couple of years now, but we are planning a similar trip with kids in a pop-up trailer next summer, and--based on a lot of recommendations on TripAdvisor--were also thinking of camping at Bridge Bay. Any tips you would have--or a link to a trip report--would be appreciated.

Morgan

Nashville, TN

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
5. Re: yellowstone fan urgent camping question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, August 15, 2009