We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

Is is possible?

I am trying to spend 3 days in Yellowstone.

I would like to use 3 entrance.

My plan was to go from Cody WY to Est Entrance,

than from Gardiner MT to North Entrance

and than from Grand Teton WY to South Entrance.

This 3 towns I want to sleep over.

Everytime I am trying to make a map Google is showing me I have to get in the park,

and than once I am ready to leave the park I have to go back the same route and go around the park to the next destination. I was hoping I can go through a park. For example go in by Cody, and than leave by Gardiner, than go in from Gardiner and drive all the way so i could find my self in Grand Tetons.

I see on other maps there is bounch of roads in the park, but i have no idea if I can use them

for my plan.

Please, help, do I really have to go in and go out to park the same way?

Is going around (as Google maps shows) the only way to get from one destination to another?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

I am thankful for any help.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

When will you be here?

3. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:19 pm, July 09, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

Second week of June.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

So you think is possible. I found some webside that offering more detailed maps. www.nps.gov/features/yell/interactivemap/ according to me Its possible. But I am not sure...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

6. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:19 pm, July 09, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

Thank you so much for that map.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

Does anyone can say how many miles / hours (let's say without stopping)

is going

through the park from Cody to Gardiner

and

through the Park from Gardiner to Grand Tetons?

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

I"m not sure I understand the question, but all major roads should be open at the time of your visit.

The "Grand Loop Road" is really shaped like a Figure 8, as you can see by looking at the map. Other roads are the entrance roads, for example, the entrance gate you will encounter when you drive in from Cody is the "east entrance"; the road you will drive from Gardiner to Mammoth is the "North Entrance" and the road you could drive from the figure 8 to the south gate towards Grand Teton is the "South Entrance road". I think that much you understood.

With your plan as I understand it, you wish to enter at the east entrance and make your way towards Gardiner. You can do this one of two ways within the park - either drive up the east side over Dunraven Pass (bypassing or taking an out and back side trip towards the Northeast entrance into Lamar Valley for wildlife viewing), or divert west at Canyon Village to drive over the center road and then north to Mammoth when you reach Norris. I recommend the east side for the way up and the west side for your passage down towards Grand Teton to avoid backtracking on the same section of road. You won't miss much on the middle section of the figure 8. I don't think I've ever seen any wildlife on that segment at all, and there are no sweeping views to be had - just one side road with a nice waterfall, but there are plenty of others elsewhere in the park.

On your day from Gardiner to Grand Teton, just drive south along the western side of the Figure 8, stopping at Old Faithful and any other highlights you have time for. Somewhere in these forums there is a Top 10 sites list. Hopefully one of the DEs will be along soon to point you to it so you know how to plan your time driving from one location to the next.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving through Yellowstone from one entrance to another ?

I'm not sure how far it is from Cody to the east entrance. Generally, using your map that you'd already located and linked above, you can about double the mileage listed between each location to roughly estimate the number of minutes needed to go that distance. Drive times are slower in the park due to regulations, traffic and general gawking.

Gardiner is just outside the park not even a stone's throw from where, on the map, it indicates "North Entrance". It's a tiny little town.